Elendor Info

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Logs

A Broken Web

Tags: Sudanir Elnara Galadriel Vuglax Legarwin Haldir Witch-king Tiridor Sachem Giant Spider

Short Summary: Elves from Amon Thranduil and Lothlorien join together to repel an orcish scouting party, but it gets complicated when a giant spider turns the hunters to hunted
Date (real-life): 2010-09-11
Scene Location: Mirkwood
Mirkwood

The view is blocked in most directions by towering dark trunks, holding heavy and crooked boughs hight above the ground. The gloomy ancient forest seems to draw more and more strength from you as you travel deeper. Beneath your feet the forest bottom is cool and damp and around you the late morning autumn air is cold.The thick undergrowth between the mighty boles is rusty red and brown, the thick bushes by the roadside are still clinging to few of the forbidden fruits of the summer.The slender rays of daylight finding their way between the boughs, indicate that the sky above is cloudy.
Contents:
Elnara
Gandalf
Galadriel
Sudanir
Vuglax
Legarwin
Haldir
Giant Spider
Witch-king
Tiridor
Galadhrim Camp Object
Sachem
Morian Orc Camp
Orc Raiding Party
Obvious exits:
West, East, NorthWest, and SouthWest

[Witch-king(#28583)]
Morning breaks over the fabled forest of Mirkwood, though a sullen, cloudy morn is this that brings little cheer to the dark eaves. Less still trickles through to the gnarled forest floor beneath, and even as the night fades above, shadow clings and reins yet below the leafy canopy. There walk orcs, hated of the Firstborn that claim these woods as their own, and the boughs of the trees are treated to their vile, cackling laughter as they march forth.

No great number tramps along, for the band of uruk-hai are less than twenty, having left the main army to scout ahead, but secrecy seems to have been abandoned despite whatever orders they were given. No hassle have they suffered as yet in their patrol, and their cruel spirits seem high indeed.

Onwards they stomp, caring little for the undergrowth they mar as they pass; indeed, rejoicing it seems in the same.

[Haldir(#25231)]  
Where evil may hide in the shadows, others may also lurk. For here behind the tree-trunks and within the low branches are hidden a few grey-cloaked elves, still as stone. They are watching the gleeful orcs -- yet no movement do they yet make.

[Sudanir(#31361)]
Up in the trees, a few more elves flit from tree to tree, wending their way along the crooked limbs like it was a pathway, in single file. Quiet as ghosts they are, taking the same direction as the squad below, shadowing them. Sudanir leads the way.


[Vuglax(#28392)]
"Watch fer them point-ears, boys!" shouts the leader. He doesn't seem in the slightest to worry about being overheard by any of the elves he has just warned his troupe about.

[Tiridor(#30454)] On one of the lower treebranches, one of the elves stiffens immediately as one of the orcs shouts. Tiridor takes the occasion to let out air and take in more in a deep breath, letting the voice of the orc drown the sound of his breath, not even leaving such details to chance - his breathing is more shallow and silent, through his open mouth, when not given these kinds of opportunities. If he can feel the leader-orc's breath stink because his own breath is stronger or if he's simply imagining he can't tell. He seeks contact with his leader, to ensure the entire group is following in the right distance from each other, and from the mortal foe below.

[Legarwin(#5392)]
        While having taken a short time away from active duty, the skills of Legarwin are not dulled by time. His silent strides maneuver him over the positions of the orcs. His multi-hued cloak allows him to blend in with the foliage, appearing to be but another leaf-engrossed branch.

[Witch-king(#28583)]
And the uruk throng pass by oblivious to the sentries above them, slashing idly at tree-trunks with their blades and stamping upon the corpse of a dead squirrel as they pass. But even as they march on, one of their number appears to step in something not to his liking. An iron-shod boot is lifted from the earth for inspection, and white, sticky threads are attached to it. His hand passes down to wipe the threads away, but instead they are merely exchanged to his skin. Waving his arm a few times in vain to shake it off, he growls and turns to his fellows.

"Logaz!" he barks to his leader. "Vuglax! Got something you should see..."

[Haldir(#25231)]  
Indeed ... something seems not to Haldir's liking as well, for there he is, perched carefully in the tree-branches. He lifts his hooded head, regarding the suspicious shadows of the forest -- dismisses it. But there is something else -- or rather, someone -- who shares the quiet twisted branches, and the Galadhrim marchwarden gives the low call of a bird: a nightingale. Such a silly bird not to have flown at the approach of the Orcs...

[Vuglax(#28392)]
"What?" Vuglax demands, pausing and looking back. "Your boot?" He turns and stomps back towards the caller.

[Sudanir(#31361)]
Sudanir pauses at the sound of the bird. A convincing sound at that, except for the fact that birds are seldom found in this part of the forest, and usually keep quiet if they are. His scouting team slows, then stops behind him, as eldarin eyes search the trees and the forest floor. The second elf in line spots him, and points Haldir out to the others. Sudanir puts a hand to his mouth and answers the call: a warbling bird sound that is soft and forlorn.

[Witch-king(#28583)]
The apparent birdsong is marked little by the orc band, though one of the stragglers at the rear perks up slightly. All the while though the others seem intrigued by the complaining orc's boot, and they gather around alongside Vuglax to see what he is harping on about.

The orc in question, Lobnug by name, offers his hand to their leader, displaying the silky white strands that cling to his flesh. Each is a quarter-inch thick, though only a foot or so long, and seem well intent on remaining in place. "What's this, you reckon, Logaz?" he asks of Vuglax. "Some stinkin' leaf-ear rope, or something?"

[Witch-king(#28583)]
And meanwhile, even as the Elven sentries keep watch in the tree-tops, they might miss the growth of a new shadow behind them; swelling silently among the darkling boughs.

[Haldir(#25231)]  
Haldir returns with a brief chirp -- yes, nice birds. He turns back to the grey-cloaked elves, pointing to his eyes and then to the ground, and reaches behind for a longbow...

[Vuglax(#28392)]
"Dunno." Vuglax squints at the strands. "Sticky, ain't they?" He stares around suspiciously. "Where'd you get 'em?" Turning around, he bellows irritably at the others, "Did I say you could stop? March!"

[Legarwin(#5392)]
Legarwin listens to the various calls of the fowl taking note that, though realistic sounding, are mere imitations. Waiting, the ellon lets his gaze scan the tree-tops, before they come to set upon the growing shadow that is now some distance behind him. He lets out cawing and points toward the darkness.

[Tiridor(#30454)]
Tiridor seems to be a bit curious indeed by what the orcs are doing. Something has caught their interest, and stopped them, and it is surely not HIS patrol. He hears the familiar sound of the nightingale. He also hears the reply. Someone else looms here, much more to his liking than those on the ground. If they communicate with such subtelty and keeps hidden, he doubts that nor whoever that might be are the reason for the yrch to stop and watch the ground, for sure. What else is there to catch their attention, when nothing else seems able to? Think, Tiridor, the elf tells himself in his head. Think.

[Witch-king(#28583)]
At Vuglax' command, the twenty or so orcs sullenly grump away, continuing their crude passage through the Firstborn's forest, all save Lobnug and the Logaz himself. "They stuck to my boot," explains the former. "I thought it was some droppings at first, but then I took a look and found 'em. Whatcher reckon?"

[Sudanir(#31361)]
Completely unaware of any new shadow in the forest of shadows, Sudanir takes a big deep breath, sighing it out as he sees the elf on the lower branch taking up his longbow in signal. Sudanir turns to his company and points out the trees where he would like them to position at, then he jumps down to another limb, scurrys down the bole to the next large branch, which extends over the pathway (if it can be called that), and then steps out along the limb until he is directly above it. "Hold, foul creatures," he says, drawing his bow on the orc who examines the white sticky stuff. "You seem a bit...lost."

[Vuglax(#28392)] "Huh," is Vuglax's elegant reply. "Looks like..." He is interrupted by a voice - clear, musical, hated - from above, and yells an order at the company who have begun to march away again.

[Sachem(#32030)]  
Sachem, King of the Mountain Rats, is following along at the rear of the orc party. He holds in his hands a bow with an arrow nocked, though he has not pulled back yet. After his previous encounters here in the forest, this orc has learned a thing or two about those who use trees.

[Haldir(#25231)]  
The Elf Sudanir hails the orcs. Haldir frowns beneath his hood, drawing an arrow from the quiver, and training it upon one of the orcish company which now is grumping back. The shadow in the shadow goes unheeded -- though the marchwarden does raise a querying brow at the Knight-Elder.

[Witch-king(#28583)]
With growls and fresh grunts, this time of exasperation, the orcs halt in their march, and turn to glare at Vugnax. "March off, march back! Which is it, boss? We're itching to hack somethhing down..."

[Witch-king(#28583)]
And the shadow swelling behind the Galadhrim shows no signs of stopping. Silent still, a blot against the already dim light trickling through the boughs of the forest, a savage, fearsome silhouette begins to take form.

[Tiridor(#30454)]
Tiridor is totally taken aback as the unknown elf suddenly speaks to the yrch. This is obviously one of our northern cousins, who dwells in these woods, he thinks, as he quickly gets ready to get into the breach once again. As is his specialty, he tends to stay in the outskirts of combat, watching for troubles that might be added to those already present, and this is what he decides to do - to ensure a safe retreat. And so he looks back. And what is that thing that is closing in from a distance? Tiridor peels his eyes carefully. Whatever it is, it does not bode well.

[Vuglax(#28392)]
"Hack that!" Vuglax shouts, pointing upwards. The eerie voice has echoed oddly, and he points at random, unable to tell just where the elf is hiding. But he isn't going to let this stand in his way of ordering an attack!

[Witch-king(#28583)]
With growls and fresh grunts, this time of exasperation, the orcs halt in their march, and turn to glare at Vugnax. "March off, march back! Which is it, boss? We're itching to hack somethhing down..."

But then the voice of the Ndaedeldhrim pierces the gloom, and as one they do as they are bidden, mainly through shock. But these foul creatures are soldiers, and rally quickly; their blades quickly brought to bear. As Vugnax orders their attack they raise a savage war-cry.. only to cease as they peer about in vain.

"Hack where, boss?"

[Galadriel(#19278)]
There is a new set of eyes now. On the branch above the Marchwarden is an elf-woman, standing against the trunk. One hand steadies her against the wood and other carries a longbow like to that of the other Galads. She is garbed all in greens and browns. She wears no hood, but her brown hair and tan skin serve well enough to keep her from standing apart too much in her sylvan surroundings. As the swords of the orcs are brandished, she releases her hold on the trees and retrieves an arrow from her hipslung quiver.

[Sachem(#32030)]  
Sachem starts scanning the boughs above the orcs, looking, looking, his bow and arrow ready to quickly send flying an arrow.

[Vuglax(#28392)] "Come down, you cowards!" Vuglax bawls, shaking his mace up at the silent trees. "Up there!" he insists, pointing again, then growls impatiently. "You... oh, arg! There. Chop at that tree. Then that one. Then that one. Got it?" He glares at his minions, stabbing a forefinger at each tree along their path in turn. One of them is bound to contain an elf.

[Witch-king(#28583)]
And again as one the savage war-cry is given by the orcs as they charge the trees, slashing and snarling their malice upon the ancient bark. Possibly they guess correctly, though one raises his voice in challenge: "Yer for the roasting spit, leaf-ear!"

[Sudanir(#31361)]
"I would not do that." Sudanir says, still apparently a lone elf standing on a limb. As the orcs charge the trees, wielding their axes, Sudanir waits for the first one to swing a blow, then looses his arrow at his chest.

[Witch-king(#28583)]
The shadow behind the Galadhrim grows larger still, and now it shape can truly be discerned for any with eyes keen enough to find it: a huge, hideous, bulbous mass sporting long, grasping limbs. It seems the uruk-hai are not the only vile things abroad this morn -- a monstrous spider lurks at the rear of the sentries of Lothlorien; stealing closer along the boughs towards Haldir.

[Haldir(#25231)]  
As the first arrow is loosed by the Elf of Mirkwood, Haldir acts in turn: his arrow is pointed at the shouting orc giving orders, Vuglax -- who is responsible for initiating the attack on the trees, after all -- a white-fletched shaft zipping down towards the leader...

Haldir launches an arrow...
Haldir's bowshot hits Vuglax, moderately wounding him.

[Legarwin(#5392)]
        It is not the orcs that are of concern to Legarwin at the moment. His gaze is set on the shadow that is refining itself. He silently pulls his longbow off his back as well as an arrow from his quiver. The long dart is nocked on the thin, silver bowstring and drawn back. The center of the shadow is found and the shaft loosed toward the thing that appraoches.

Legarwin launches an arrow...
Legarwin's bowshot hits Giant Spider, mildly wounding it.

[Galadriel(#19278)]
A visible shudder seems to pass through the Erynloth, huntress of the Lorien, as the spider creeps near. As if she is cold, she reaches up to fasten another button on her leather vest and slowly, reluctantly, she turns around. Not a guard by trade, she has no practice in steeling her expression against shadow. Thus, it is with a mask of gloom that she nocks an arrows and sends it flying.

Galadriel launches an arrow...
Galadriel's bowshot hits Giant Spider, lightly wounding it.

[Sachem(#32030)]  
Sachem hears the strum of bows and swooshes of arrows as the orcs are attacked. But there is something more as he listens... After a moment, he shakes his head and goes back to looking for a target. There is some kind of movement up in the branches. He aims slowly and then lets his arrow fly.

[Combat(#13388)] Sachem wields Bow.
Sachem launches an arrow...
Sachem's bowshot hits Haldir, lightly wounding him.

[Witch-king(#28583)]
The two Elven darts fly deftly into their target, and the archers' reward is a long, evil, rage-filled hiss that slips from bough to bough as they sink into unseen flesh. The spider shudders, its massive silhouette roiling a moment amid the tree-tops, ere with a startling speed it rushes into view.

Cruel, alien eyes are found aplenty upon its disgusting face, and savage pincers snap hungrily within its mouth in Haldir's direction as it bears down upon him. The bough he stands upon creaks and dips as the weight is added, and with the long legs of the child of Ungoliant craning against the neighbouring trunks it charges the noble Maethyr.

Those pincered fangs snap with deadly intent as they seek to puncture the Elf's flesh.

Giant Spider attacks Haldir with its fearsome claws!
Giant Spider badly wounds him!

[Elnara(#30361)]
Not all the elves are in the trees. One of the group in the underbrush, Elnara, creeps closer, her twin swords drawn, one in her remaining hand, the other attached to the harness that holds to her wrist. Green eyes look up toward the branches, noting not only the arrows coming for her kinsmen, but the giant spider as well. When both perils bear down on Haldir, her lips purse and she stands. She'd at least help take care of the ground problems. She strides forward, perhaps somewhat foolishly, toward the band of orcs, the sword in her hand raised across her body to help block, the one attached to her arm drawn back to slice forward in attack.

[Galadriel(#19278)]
The sudden rush of the spider is almost too much for Erynloth to bear, especially as it is coming right towards the tree in which she resides. She pulls up her hood and her knees bend slightly - half a breath from leaping to a new tree. But that is when the beast attacks the Marchwarden right below her. Despite herself, a garbled cry of anger and fear escapes that slender throat and, without thought it seems, she finds a new arrow and looses it.
Galadriel launches an arrow...
Galadriel's bowshot hits Giant Spider, lightly wounding it.

[Witch-king(#28583)]
As the darts begin to fly, Sudanir's is lost to view, but buried within the chest of his target. The orc goes down, much to the dismay of his fellows, but even in their frenzy they are given pause by the sound of the Galadhrim arrows slicing through the gloom. Worried, surprised eyes turn toward Vugnax, as though looking for direction.

[Legarwin(#5392)]
As the spider chooses to come out of its shadow, Legarwin does not lose his courage. Another arrow is drawn from the quiver and nocked in a smooth motion. The silver string is pulled back to his pointed ear before released with the whistling of wood cutting through air.

[Haldir(#25231)]  
Haldir's next arrow is set upon his string ... when the Morian orc's shaft sinks into the flesh beneath armor and cloak, where bandages might already been seen to cover. His eyes narrow, for now he has found the next target, Sachem...

The marchwarden barely has time to turn at the clacking sound of fangs. They pierce deeply into his half-turned chest, rending leather and rings and staining them with red and sticky black.

Haldir blinks, blood soaking his cloak, and the arrow falls from his hands to the ground -- though a grip is barely maintained upon his bow...

Legarwin launches an arrow...
Legarwin's bowshot hits Giant Spider, mildly wounding it.

[Tiridor (#30454)]
Tiridor decides that the orcs can wait, as he sees the impact the spider has on Haldir. This is about saving lives and making it possible to retreat quickly if possible. For that to be possible, the big, nasty spider has to be removed. Tiridor nocks an arrow, takes careful aim. His closes his eyes for a moment and breaths in through his mouth. Then he opens his eyes, and while keeping his breath, he aims again and lets go. "<Sindarin> Take that, foul beast!" he cries as the arrow flies.

Tiridor launches an arrow...

Tiridor's arrow flies wide, doing no harm.

[Vuglax(#28392)] Vuglax yells, and turns it from a shout of pain to one of rage mid-yell. The arrow is stuck deeply into his shoulder, and he reaches up and yanks it out, gritting his teeth. as he does so.

Rewarded with his first target down, Sudanir immediately nocks his next arrow, before even searching for his next target. In a sudden realization of his exposure, in the heat of battle, he decides to moves closer to the cover of the leafy branches, and chooses another orc trying to fell his tree. Then he hears a familiar sound. A spider. Immediately he trains his arrow toward the sound, finding the large spider in his sights. But just then, he sees yet another arrow fly into the beast. Considering it well in hand, he points downward again, aiming less carefully into the throng of fighting orcs and firing.

[Combat Function Library(#15)] Vuglax carefully removes an arrow from himself...

[Witch-king(#28583)]
Thick and fast the arrows fly now into the spider's hide, but none earn more than a wobble of its repulsive bulk as it towers over the figure of Haldir. Indeed, the clustered eyes of the beast seem to alight upon another of the noble Tirith, and the pincers of its jaws snap anew angrily.

To Erynloth then it charges, shifting legs in the gloom along sturdy tree-limbs to effect its passage, and one of their jagged number swipes at the huntress.

Giant Spider attacks Galadriel with its razor-like teeth!
Giant Spider lightly wounds her!

[Sachem(#32030)]  
Sachem puts away his bow and takes from his back his battle axe as he wades forward thorugh the other orcs and appears beside Vulgax. The mountain king scowls at the disorder around him and he growls at the sergeant, evidently threatening something if order isn't restored. Just then, Elnara starts forward and the king starts at her.

[Witch-king(#28583)]
The other orrcs are meanwhile in uproar, and even as Vugnax is struck by an arrow their eyes turn to watch the assault of the spider in the trees. Fear mingles with wonder at the sight, but soon turns to dark glee in their gazes as it seems to target only the Firstborn, and cries of triumph rip from their throats. With renewed vigour they set upon Sudanir's tree, chopping and hewing for all they are worth in a bid to bring the edhel to earth.

[Elnara(#30361)] Elnara soon reaches the group of orcs, beginning to hack her way through them. She starts on the ones at the trees, keeping some distance between herself and the King. She isn't a fool, she can well see that the axe would have no problem cleaving her in two. Now, the one who got shot earlier, he seems a bit more in her league. She waits a moment, then lunges forward, moving to slash a blade across his back.

Elnara attacks Vuglax with her Longsword and moderately wounds him!

[Legarwin(#5392)]
A third arrow is nocked and loosed by the Knight-Elder as the spider continues to approach and attack those Eldar in its way. Parting his lips, Legarwin lets out the call of a hawk, the screech carrying in the dense woods. The time for stealth has elasped and an offensive must be made to survive.
 
[Galadriel(#19278)] Erynloth pays for lingering too long on the branch and finds the spider so much faster than it appears. She tries to dart, but too late, the heinous fangs slice along her lower leg, rending her clothing and opening the flesh. She nearly falls, nearly drops her weapon, and finds herself at the end barely clinging to the branch. But she is at home in the trees, and it shows as she easily drops down to the next branch. Finding herself now even with Haldir, she looks at him with widened eyes, even as she places a new arrow on her string, "<Sindarin> Do we flee?" Aiming slightly upward now, she fires again at the spider.
Galadriel launches an arrow...
Galadriel's bowshot hits Giant Spider, lightly wounding it.

[Haldir(#25231)]
Haldir is not to be ignored -- no, not yet. Slinging the longbow over stiffened shoulders, the Elf-marchwarden draws his longsword from a hidden scabbard, gritting his teeth at the movement. With a slight bend, he leaps toward another branch that will take him near the hideous child of Ungoliant, the bright slender blade stabbing down at its abdomen.

"<Sindarin> We fight!"

Legarwin launches an arrow...
Legarwin's bowshot hits Giant Spider, lightly wounding it.

Haldir attacks Giant Spider with his Longsword and lightly wounds it!

[Sachem(#32030)]  
Sachem pushes forward towards Elnara, pushing grunts out of his way. He growls louder and takes up his battle axe, encircling the haft with his strong orcish hands. "Dearie, dearie, come closer! Such a pretty as you would lookie nice over the fire!"

[Witch-king(#28583)]
Still the arrows fly, and still they but enrage the hideous bulk that assails the Eldar; a fresh, savage hiss sent rasping through the treetops. Denied of further assault upon Erynloth, and her arrow burying itself in the gaping maw of the beast, the spider roils backward, even as Legarwin's arrow finds its mark also.

But it is the charge of Haldir that draws its ire most, the cruel, strange eyes turning to regard the Maethyr and one of their evil lights put out by his blade. The bulbous body shakes, thrashing for a moment in pain and anguish, ere its serrated leg lashing out to sweep Haldir from the bough if it may.

[Sudanir(#31361)]
Sudanir fires another arrow, wasting no time in choosing a target, and aims for the neck. Without waiting to see if it even hits, he jumps around the bole to the base of another branch, reaching out in another direction to a different tree.

[Vuglax(#28392)]
Something whacks Vuglax in the back, sending him staggering off-balance forward, with a grunt. He whirls to see what it is, already swinging his mace, so that it swings towards the elf's midsection.

Vuglax attacks Elnara with his Mace, but he misses by an arm's length.

Giant Spider attacks Haldir with its fearsome claws!
Giant Spider badly wounds him!

[Tiridor (#30454)]
Tiridor notices how many of his kind seems preoccupied with the spider. However, there are other foes, and a few of those are ignored. Others are in combat with other elves. ANd some are trying to get that one Greenwood elf down on the ground. Surely, he can not let this go on. He gets down on the ground on Haldir's cry and Legarwin's signal and gets his sword ready. He starts chopping his way towards Elnara and her foes to assist.

[Sachem(#32030)]  
Sachem is closer to Tiridor than Elnara and he notes the new Elf who has appeared on the ground. Leaving the other one to Vulgax, he turns to the new Elf and looks the creature up and down, "Meat, fresh meat! Your skin'll look nice pulled taunt over a new war drum!"

[Galadriel(#19278)]
As the Marchwarden gives the order to fight and then bravely attacks in spite of his injury, Erynloth's countenace falls briefly, but is then given over to a mask of marble resolve. Taking advantage of the spider's distraction with Haldir to aim an arrow at the soft flesh of its underbelly which the churning legs sometimes reveal.
Galadriel launches an arrow...
Galadriel's bowshot hits Giant Spider, lightly wounding it.

[Elnara(#30361)]
When the mace swings toward her, Elnara very quickly is not where she was; she'd had bad experiences with those things to the chest before. She smirks, backing a way a little as the big one with the axe comes toward her again. "No, I don't think I would taste terribly good, actually... Bit stringy..." For all her brave talk, she does look relieved that his interest in her wanes. Quickly, she darts forward again to attack Vuglax, this time aiming for his throat. Whether she hits or misses, she darts back again, trying to keep as far away from the weapons as possible.

Elnara attacks Vuglax with her Longsword and moderately wounds him!

[Legarwin(#5392)]
        The rhythem of battle has set into Legarwin as he goes through the motions of wielding his longbow. Finely-crafted arrows slide along the side of the longbow smoothly befor being quickly released to speed toward the spider. The rampage of the creature seems to need slowed down and this arrow may assist in that goal.

Legarwin launches an arrow...
Legarwin's bowshot hits Haldir, severely wounding him.

[Haldir(#25231)]  
The distraction consists of the Elf-marchwarden being solidly knocked from his perch by the flailing claw, sending him into a lower branch with an unhealthy thud. Slowly does he rise, his shoulders rising and falling as he strives to breathe; then, caution to the winds, Haldir gives a roar, seeking the soft underbelly of the spider from his lower position.

Haldir attacks Giant Spider with his Longsword, but he misses by a handspan.

[Vuglax(#28392)] His mace misses - cursed elf - and Vuglax charges forward, pressing his attack. Dumb move. Elnara's blade slices across his chest, just at his collarbones, where the armor doesn't quite reach. A long shallow cut springs up, and instantly begins to bleed. Cursing, the orc lunges at the pale dancing figure.

Vuglax attacks Elnara with his Mace, but he misses by a long shot.

[Tiridor (#30454)] Tiridor has no real time to think as the uruk-hai turns to him and makes some awful noise. This is his time to prove that his longsword amounts to something outside the training fields. "<Sindarin> I have no idea what you say." he remarks. "<Sindarin> But by ELBERETH, you will not say much more in your life." He swings his sword nervously at Sachem.

Tiridor attacks Sachem with his Longsword, but he misses by a mile.

[Sachem(#32030)]  
Sachem grunts as the Elf misses with his longsword. The great orc-king swoops forward at the creature, his axe poised for action. Ducking by Tiridor as the Elf attacks, the orc chops at Tiridor's side and back, glee writ upon his face.

Sachem attacks Tiridor with his Battle Axe and badly wounds him!

[Elnara(#30361)]
Elnara spins quickly, both dodging the swing of the mace and taking the head off a near by orc in the process. "Have to do better than that..." she taunts, smirking broadly. She lunges forward once more, both swords blazing out to catch him, one at the leg, the other at the arm holding the mace.

Elnara attacks Vuglax with her Longsword and moderately wounds him!

[Witch-king(#28583)]
As the arrow of the Knight Elder speeds through the air, the spider is indeed distracted; moving backward it seems after the success of Erynloth's dart. For the flesh of the beast is soft indeed beneath its monstrous bulk, and her aim is true -- the spider recoils abruptly. But in doing so it exposes Haldir in its stead, and it scuttles down a bough or two as it seeks to rid itself of the pain.

Then its eyes fal upon the huntress anew, perceiving perhaps the source of its torment, and with fangs snapping all the more it bears down upon her; the pincers seeking to close around her throat.

Giant Spider attacks Galadriel with its massive paws!
Giant Spider's attack misses Galadriel.

[Legarwin(#5392)]
        The spider seems to be showing no signs of slowing and the orcs are not helping the situation. Looking around, Legarwin recognizes that this is a battle that will need to be continues another time. Over the din of the combat, he releases the call of the Whip-or-Will. The Eldar need to fade into the trees so as to return another day to fight. Drawing his cloak about him, the Knight-Elder fades into the boughs with his kin.

[Vuglax(#28392)]
Vuglax snarls as the sword catches his leg - he manages to yank his arm back out of the way, and turns the momentum into a looping swing aimed at where he thinks the elf's head must be.

Vuglax attacks Elnara with his Mace, but he misses by a mile.

[Haldir(#25231)]  
Haldir is barely visible from the ground, the bloodstains upon his cloak pointing him out from the deep shadow. And there does one lucky orc aim his bow amid the commotion, and strikes! The black-feathered arrow strikes the marchwarden full in the chest, and the Elf staggers once -- threatening to crumple and fall.

But the call of the whip-poor-will is given. Some dogged force drives Haldir to continue, and he slips into deeper branches, numb and bleeding.

[Tiridor(#30454)]
THUMP! Something hits Tiridor on the back as his sword swings past the huge orc. The momentum makes him fly forward. His gut reactions kicks in and he flips over his shoulder and gets back on his feet, the pace stops as he, more or less involuntarily, headbutts one of the orcs who is chopping at a tree hoping an elf will fall out of it. He can't tell if he felt that headbutt or not, for now a pain sets in at his back, greater than he has felt in a very long time. He feels his back getting wet. It must be that foul axe hitting him. He closes his eyes for a second, and turns to face the foe again, much more reluctantly this time. He hears the call for retreat. He stands his ground to let Elnara and Sudanir to get away.

[Witch-king(#28583)]
The orcs around Sudanir's tree lose yet another fellow as the Ndaedeldhrim's aim is true, and this only drives them into a darker mood indeed. Savagely they hack, likely reckoning not that their quarry has slipped to another tree, and with their leaders duelling the elves on the ground they seem happy to pursue their tormentor from above. Or so they think.

[Galadriel(#19278)]
Erynloth's eyes never leave the spider, even as Haldir falls to the ground. Thus, she has the time and presence of mind to prepare for its assault. She tosses her bow into a crook of the branch and draws her longsword. Just as the beast closes in with its knife-sharp pincers she leaps straight at it! Clearing the dripping maw and landing upon the fell creature's back. This is no joy ride, however. She drives down with her sword, once, into the shell, and then leaps away again, aiming to scale the trunk to a new level.

Galadriel furiously attacks Giant Spider with her Longsword and badly wounds it!

[Elnara(#30361)] Elnara ducks out of the way, coming back to her feet with what surely must be an infuriating smile. Her eyes glance toward the sound of the bird call, but does not move; she would let the others get away, keep them from being caught. The glance also shows Tiridor get hit with the axe she'd been so keen to avoid. Jaw set, Elnara moves over to stand between Sachem and Tiridor. "Pick on someone your own size," she hisses, before striking the king.

Elnara attacks Sachem with her Longsword, but Sachem parries the attack with his Battle Axe!

[Sachem(#32030)]  
Battle axe flies out to meet longsword and longsword stopped, caught under the edge of one side of his battle axe as Sachem grins. "Dearie, I knew you'd come back to me! Mm mm mm!" Fangs showing pale, green and yellow as he grins, the orc releases the longsword quick and before Elnara can react, he jabs at her with it, the top of the haft and curved edges aimed at her pretty Elf face.


Sachem attacks Elnara with his Battle Axe and badly wounds her!

[Witch-king(#28583)]
As the steel of Lothlorien strikes out against the foul spider, perhaps some fate guides it, for it pierces deep into the bulbous flesh of the repulsive creature, and a fresh hiss of pain fills the forest air. Well timed also is the stroke, for the spider seems poorly balanced, and with the might of the blow is set off-kilter among the tangled boughs of the tree-tops. Its massive weight teeters then topples, snapping through the tree-limbs as it plummets downward.

Down it hurtles, and just so happens to have been above Sachem ere it was smote so well. Perhaps the fall will rid the Firstborn of two foes at once...

Giant Spider attacks Sachem with its massive paws!
Giant Spider's attack misses Sachem.


Twelve orcs on one tree, hacking away, already the bark on the base is severed all the way around. Sudanir frowns. "It is certain to die now felled or no." He puts his hand on the thick trunk, like a pat of sympathy, then runs along the thick limb to get a good start, then takes a leap into the next tree, catching himself with a steadying hand.

[Vuglax(#28392)] Vuglax is bleeding from several wounds, but his fury overrides any feeling of pain, and he lunges (limping) after the elf. "Come back here, you coward!" he yells.

[Elnara(#30361)]
She'd been so worried about the axe, she hadn't stopped to see the longsword. She would definitely be paying for that. She gasps as the sword slices across her face, leaving a streak of red going over her left cheek up the side of her nose. She moves back, scurring quicker as the spider lands not too far from her. But the others hadn't gotten away yet. So she stays. She darts forward once more, running and jumping to swing down towards Sachem's head. Hopefully the orc would be distracted by the big spider.

Elnara attacks Sachem with her Longsword, but Sachem parries the attack with his Battle Axe!

[Tiridor(#30454)] Tiridor sees how the sentinel steps in to save him, a wave of gratitude fills him. However, a retreat has been called, and it is his duty as a warden to get her out of there unharmed. "<Sindarin> Thank you." he yells to her. "<Sindarin> The order is retreat. So, retreat." he adds. "<Sindarin> I will keep our backs." With these words, he makes for that orc who is charging after Elnara, and swings his sword at him. Maybe this time it'll hit more than air.

Tiridor attacks Vuglax with his Longsword, but Vuglax parries the attack with his Mace!

[Galadriel(#19278)]
Erynloth clings to her branch, catching her breath and clutching her sword which is covered in a vile viscous goo. "<Sindarin> Oh for the golden leaves..." she whispers, her fair features a mix of dread and resolve. The fall of the spider seems to affect her little for, from this vantage, she can see all too well what her kin on the ground suffer. "<Sindarin> Retreat." she urges through clenched teeth, though surely they cannot hear her. For if they do not, the Lady's huntress knows what it means for her. Already she is climbing down towards the melee.

[Sachem(#32030)]  
Spider, what spider? Sachem is too consumed with bloodlust to care about strange beasties falling out of the trees as he closes in on Elnara, mouth hanging open and fangs dripping with drool, the pungent odor of his breath evident. He brings up his weapon to catch her own and parries it easily. Not wasting time with more speech, he twists his axe away and down and cuts across the Elf-woman's middle in a bid to gut her and be done with it.

Sachem attacks Elnara with his Battle Axe, but Elnara parries the attack with her shield!

[Witch-king(#28583)]
Meanwhile the fall of the spider has sent the other orcs into panic, for as they eyes watch it they break off their assult of the tree. So it is that Sudanir's flight is missed, but small matter might it now seem to them as they scatter quickly so as not to be near the foul creature's landing. Evil eyes light with frenzy, and they join in the assault against Elnara and Tiridor.

But as the spider itself lands, it lies still for a moment; gargantuan legs curling up as though struck numb, and the alien eyes seem dulled and stilled. All the same, this does not last, and ere too long the great bulk shifts anew. The beast wakes, rolling and scrambling in gigantic scale, batting one orc against a tree in with a thrashing leg, and rights itself.

Rage now fills its evil, myriad gaze, and it seems to care not for whom it assails next, wading into the fray of the slimmer bodies all around it. Sachem is closest, and so to him are sent the vicious fangs in search of vengeance against all the world.

[Vuglax(#28392)] What is that? Another elf? Vuglax yanks his mace up, twisting sideways as a sword comes out of nowhere towards him - and clangs off. He stumbles under the force of the blow, off-balance already from the wound in his shin. Thrusting up, he tries to jab with the head of the mace into the elf's stomach. Or something.

Vuglax attacks Tiridor with his Mace, but he misses by a mile.


Giant Spider attacks Sachem with its fearsome claws!
Giant Spider's attack misses Sachem.

[Tiridor(#30454)]
Tiridor feels the mace of the orc, amazingly, miss his stomach. 'I will count my stars later'. he thinks to himself. He looks for some kind of an opening, chopping away at the weapon arm of the orc that just missed him. An orc who can't swing, can't win.

Tiridor attacks Vuglax with his Longsword, but he misses by an arm's length.

[Elnara(#30361)]
The blood running down her cheek doesn't faze Elnara. She blocks the massive axe with the sword attached to the harness, shoving it away before hacking towards Sachem's throat with the other blade. "No, you go, I'll lead them away! They only mussed up my face a little!" she shouts towards Tiridor. She stands her ground, the Sentinel keeping her green eyes on the massive Orc. The spider is also in the corner of her mind, though it isn't as much of a threat now that it's injured.

Elnara attacks Sachem with her Longsword and mildly wounds him!

[Vuglax(#28392)]
The dratted creature swivels away, and Vuglax snarls. He pulls his mace up, in preparation of bringing it down in a horrific smash - and catches the glint of a sword, throwing himself backwards away from it.

[Sachem(#32030)]  
What spider? /That/ spider! Sachem grunts as he ducks out of the way of a leg and the vicious fangs snapping. The orc-king howls and is about to retaliate when Elnara scores a hit. It is nothing really and the orc-king lashes out with a onehanded swing to keep Elnara off. "Play time's over, dearie!"

Sachem attacks Elnara with his Battle Axe and badly wounds her!

[Tiridor(#30454)]
Tiridor stands his ground towards Vuglax. He looks over towards the other elf and orc doing their blade dance. "<Sindarin> Retreat." he yells. "<Sindarin> That is an order, sentinel." He hates pulling rank, but this time it seems necessary. He faces Vuglax again, if the orc will try anything more.

[Witch-king(#28583)]
Woe unto the Galadhrim, for even as Sachem renews his assault, the spider seems interested in him no longer; and Tiridor it is who strays too close to the bulbous mass next. Now upon the ground the beast has less options of attack, it would seem, but even as the Elf faces Vuglax, he may fall prey to a weighty leg swiping out for his own.

Giant Spider attacks Tiridor with its massive paws!
Giant Spider terribly wounds him!

[Galadriel(#19278)]
Erynloth arrives soundlessly on the ground in a half-crouch, the glint of her steel is muted by the blood of the enemy. She is just in time to see the ax of the black king find its mark upon Elnara. A pale chin juts out from beneath the hood of the elf and she is off - leather clad feet falling silently upon the forest floor...but before she can reach the orc, the spider is again in her path. A cry of alarm and dismay erupts, but she has no choice, being nearly upon it. She slices swiftly at the nearest leg.


Galadriel attacks Giant Spider with her Longsword and lightly wounds it!

[Elnara(#30361)]
Elnara shoots a glare towards the rank pulling Tiridor, but then two things happen to change her mind at countering that; one, the fact that not only is her right shoulder bleeding quite badly, her harness is hanging partly off, broken leather straps visible through her ruined dress... and two, said warden goes down himself, thanks to the spider. She stumbles backwards, bending to help Tiridor. She pulls off the ruined harness and simply leaves it, sliding her arm under his body. She awkwardly lifts him and starts dragging, holding him against her to compensate for lack of hand holding him up; she wanted to leave her left hand with the sword to fend off any attack that comes for them.

[Vuglax(#28392)]
Vuglax is flat on his back, bleeding and gasping for breath, and shoving himself back up again. He grimaces with the effort, staggers and catches his balance with his mace. In the strange light, he finds it hard to see where the enemies are just at the moment...

[Tiridor(#30454)]
Tiridor simply feels his leg getting pulled away from underneath him, in such a way that he finds himself soon in midair. This time he feels the pain immediately, his vision is covered by a red mist of sorts. He is out cold, which is perhaps the least cruel, as he falls down on his neck and something in there cracks. Hopefully just a muscle. He notices not that he is lifted by someone, as a matter of fact, he notices nothing now.

[Combat(#13388)]
Elnara tries to flee from Sachem, but she fails!

[Witch-king(#28583)]
As Erynloth arrives and is forced to renew her assault, more good may come from her strike that at first thought. For while he strike is true, it does little more than freshly anger the spider, and it whirls about suddenly to face the noble huntress anew. But the fall and her first strike have taken their toll somewhat -- the beast is unsteady, and in turning about it comes off balance.

Backward its bulk goes, perhaps to squat upon the prone figure of Vuglax!


Giant Spider attacks Vuglax with its razor-like teeth!
Giant Spider's attack misses Vuglax.

[Sudanir(#13388)]
From above, an arrow shoots from the black-leafed trees, aimed at Sachem's neck. The shooter, should one look, is the same elf who started all this, Sudanir, previously forgotten and missed by the tree-felling orcs.

[Combat(#13388)->Sudanir]
You fire off an arrow at Sachem...

Your training fails you as you fire in the crowded room: Vuglax gets in the way of your shot!
Your arrow hits Vuglax, badly wounding him!

[Witch-king(#28583)]
Meanwhile the orcs have gathered and rallied some after the initial panic of the spider's fall, and while they spread out in a wide arc to avoid its attention -- no aid offered to their beloved leader -- they turn savage eyes upon the lingering Firstborn. Weapons are raised anew, and they advance warily but purposefully upon their ancient enemies.

[Vuglax(#28392)]
Perhaps the orc has spent a little too much time looking for elves and not watching for other dangers - for when the shadow falls backwards upon him, he squawks and leaps aside in utter startlement. Luckily, he leaps the right direction. With a gaping look at the spider, the orc shouts for his men. If any of them are still around. He swings his mace back to attack it, and is hit in the shoulder by an unseen arrow. Poor Vuglax. It's not his day.

[Galadriel(#19278)]
The huntress is little used to such a massive quarry. The spider would make a dozen Lorien boars with a few pork chops left over. Thus she seems uncertain when it wavers where it would be best to attack. But the backward motion leaves more of that delectable underbelly unprotected and Erynloth allows instinct to take over.

Galadriel attacks Giant Spider with her Longsword and badly wounds it!

[Sachem(#32030)]  
Sachem charges after Elnara and the one in her grasp as she tries to get away. The orc is oblivious to arrows flying and spiders dancing. The scent of fresh blood fills his nostrils, intoxicating him! "Dearie! You're goin' the wrong way! Camp's the other way!" He grins and growls as he sweeps his axe at Elnara's feet to take them out from under her.

[Elnara(#30361)]
The fleet footed sentinel is not as quick now that she's dragging Tiridor, but she's quick enough that the axe misses her. She leans over to catch the sword in one of the loops of leather to the harness and lifts it, letting it dangle off the hilt of her sword. "I still don't think you'd like me for dinner," she says with a weak smile, backing away as quick as she can without hurting the warden in her arms. The cloak she wears blends into the trees and she is soon gone, the scent of the fauna along with the filth of the spider masking her scent.

[Witch-king(#28583)]
Once again does the sword of Erynloth delve deep into the foul, soft flesh of the spider's underbelly, and once more is the brave huntress rewarded with a hiss of pain from her unusual foe. Giant legs thrash anew, rending the gnarled forest floor beneath them, and the monster lurches forth in desperation -- the vicious fangs sent to do for her gullet if they may.


Giant Spider attacks Galadriel with its fearsome claws!
Giant Spider's attack misses Galadriel.


[Galadriel(#19278)] If the spider misses in its retaliation, it is no fault of Eryloth's. Though it is a longsword, it is not as long as the legs of the giant spider and the huntress is nearly in a panic to escape the deadly cage they make after her blade finds its mark. Darting here and there, her innate dexterity allows her to duck the attack at the last moment. "Elbereth!" An exclamation, a prayer, and a threat - so wrought is the elleth's voice. But the saying of it brings a new light to her eyes and a strength to her hands and thrusts straight into the spider's deadly mouth.

Galadriel attacks Giant Spider with her Longsword, but she misses by a mile.

[Sachem(#32030)]  
Sachem howls as Elnara escapes. His bloodlust must be appeased. Turning towards the elephant in the room, he attacks the spider for no better reason than it's there. The big bad battle axe is swung at a leg, hopes and dreams alive that the leg will be lopped off in one go.

Sachem attacks Giant Spider with his Battle Axe and terribly wounds it!

[Witch-king(#28583)]
The spider recoils at the voice of the Eldar, and though this brings it beyond the reach of her thrust it seems wounded all the same. Long ages have passed since the great Spider of Darkness wove her webs of malice and shadow, but still do ancient grudges flow in the veins of her children, and the name spoken seems hateful and fearsome to the beast. Back it goes, seething as though driven against its will, but it is kept at bay for the moment, those alien eyes watching Erynloth warily.

All the same, the orcs around them pay no heed to the word, though the music of the huntress' voice sends a shudder down their spines. To her is sent their snarls and glares, and they move quickly to charge her down, lest the fleet feet of the Firstborn come to her aid once more.

[Witch-king(#28583)]
And the spider gains frsh courage by their assault it seems, up until Sachem's axe comes slashing through the gloom to hew one of the monstrous legs clean away! Down the beast falls again, shaking the ground with its fall, and in panic and fear the other legs of the disgusting creature are sent the Goblin King's way.

Giant Spider attacks Sachem with its fearsome claws!
Giant Spider lightly wounds him!

[Sachem(#32030)]  
More legs present themselves. They smack at Sachem, but his mail is pretty and not easily penetrated. These little thumps against his chest hurt but are really mere annoyances. Annoyances, yes, but also they are annoyances that send the orc into a berzerker mode as his axe starts flashing this way and that, cutting, chopping, hacking at any leg or spider flesh that presents itself.

Giant Spider collapses to the ground, defeated by Sachem!

[Sachem(#32030)]  
Sachem is covered in spider gore as he howls with glee and keeps chopping at the dead carcass over and over and over again!! His frenzy knows no bounds! He throws aside his axe and starts tearing apart the spider with his bare claws!

[Galadriel(#19278)] Erynloth does not linger to celebrate the fall of the spider. She turns as soon as the thing hits the ground and runs, barely touching the ground. Just as she is about to near the trees, she sheathes her sword and jumps to grab the lowest branch, disappearing quickly into the leaves. She retrieves her abandoned longbow and then follows the path of her kin away from the gorey scene. The only sign of her departure a flutter of leaves in her wake as she leaps from tree to tree.

[Witch-king(#28583)]
The orcs in pursuit howl and curse for all they are worth, stamping feet upon the ground and hacking savagely nearby trunks, but to no avail. Their quarry gone, they come a halt, and after a brief while turn their eyes back toward the remains of the spider, eyeing the Morian King warily.

"What now, boss?" asks Lobnug of Vulgax, as they sidle closer. "No leaf-ears dead, but... dinner is dinner?"

[Witch-king(#28583)]
The uruk-hai set to work to do just that, and while they mutter and scowl at the tree-tops -- their fallen fellows earning no more than a grunt of disinterest of a glob of scornful spittle -- they are alone and unchallenged in the forest once more.

Date added: 2010-09-19 02:29:49    Hits: 109
Powered by Sigsiu.NET RSS Feeds