Elendor Info

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Logs

Into the Belly of the Beast Part 2 (Three Horses and an Ass TP)

Tags: Menelglir,  Findon,  Gwendion,  Aurfaen,  Sulgirion,  Ollie

Short Summary: The Gondorians and Ranger attempt to rescue the eagle from Ollie's cave.
Date (real-life): 2009-12-15
Scene Location: Troll Cave; Outside
Date (in-game): Saturday, September 10 TA 3048
Time of Day: Early Evening, Sunset
Weather: clear

[Gwendion(#24427)]

The cave is barely light from what little light reflects from the last rays of the sun's twilight. The scene is set, a knight of the southern lands standing above a recently awoke monster of the Shaws, blade held overhead to strike as it awakes from the theft of its dinner.

And as this theft slowly comes to slow realization by the beast, a shout is called out by the Knight for movement and he strikes, blade swinging down to end Oliver in one swift stroke, even as the beast rages with a mighty roar at the intrusion in his home.


[Combat(#13388)] Gwendion wields Bruncrist.
[Combat(#13388)] Gwendion puts on Metal Shield.
[Combat(#13388)] Gwendion puts on Metal Helmet.
[Combat(#13388)] Ollie drops the pot onto his head where it slides about loosely. It is amazing it stays on.
[Combat(#13388)] Ollie wields The Squasherator.

Gwendion attacks Ollie with his Longsword, but he misses by an arm's length.


[Ollie(#15066)] Oliver might be slow, and he might be stupid; but no one has ever accused him of cowardice. And when it comes to his food, he can be swifter even than thought! Even as the blade flashes down, the troll is surging upwards, snatching out for his club. And when Gwendion's longsword sparks against the rock of the floor, the troll smashes one mighty fist at him.

[Combat(#13388)] Ollie unwields The Squasherator.

Ollie attacks Gwendion with his Bare Hands and mildly wounds him!

[Combat(#13388)] Ollie wields The Squasherator.


[Gwendion(#24427)]

The Troll's fist lands squarely on the Knight's shoulder with such force it spins him. With a grunt, the Knight squints into the dark, taking a more defensive posture, "Oliver is it? I am sorry to have taken your meal," he says, swinging out his blade into the dark, "Perhaps my blade can convince you to let you part with it."

Gwendion attacks Ollie with his Longsword, but he misses by an arm's length.


[Ollie(#15066)] "Not sorry!" Oliver bellows furiously. He swipes at the human with his club - swinging it along the floor. "Thiefs! Yer gives im backs!"

Ollie attacks Gwendion with his Club and badly wounds him!


[Gwendion(#24427)]

This blow is true, in the dark perceived only as pain as the club lands squarely in the center of the Knight's chest, knocking him across the cave, his mail scoring small sparks across the floor. The knight can only cough and quickly bring himself back to his feet.

He moves slowly towards the troll once more, "Come now, Oliver. I could find you a nice deer instead. Maybe even a moose. Do you know what a moose is?" he asks, his voice hoarse and coming between short breaths as the blade swings out towards the sound of movement coming for him.

Gwendion attacks Ollie with his Longsword, but he misses by a handspan.


[Ollie(#15066)] "THIEFS!" Oliver howls louder. "Yer is big nasty...." There is a pause in the roaring. "Moose? What's moose?" In the dark, as Gwendion's sword hits (again) nothing at all, the troll's beady eyes peer at the human, and for the moment, he withholds his club.


[Gwendion(#24427)]

"Uh, it is a beast like a deer, but perhaps, twice as large and three times as much meat. They have large horns like a deer," Gwendion says quickly, then asks, "Do you have horns, Oliver?" through a wince, taking a moment's respite to clutch at his chest.


[Ollie(#15066)] "Deers," Ollie says musingly. "Deers is tasty. Got grey bits for deers. Grey bits for deers an' sheeps an'..." A look of fury contorts his face as he remembers what has been stolen from him and he reaches out with one meaty hand to snatch Gwendion and shake him. "YER GIVES IT BACK!"

[Combat(#13388)] Ollie unwields The Squasherator.

Ollie attacks Gwendion with his Bare Hands and lightly wounds him!

[Combat(#13388)] Ollie wields The Squasherator.


[Gwendion(#24427)]

The hand wraps around Gwendion's head, as he lets out a muffled cry. He swings wildly with his blade at Ollie's wrist, to force him to let go.

Gwendion attacks Ollie with his Longsword, but Ollie parries the attack with his Club!


[Ollie(#15066)] Something bangs into Oliver's club, and he bends over a little to see what it was; incidentally letting go of the man's head as well. Sulkily, he says, "Hungry. Yers thiefed Ollie's dinners!"


[Gwendion(#24427)]

Gwendion falls to his knees, coughing, "But...but... feathers taste bad. And birds are all bones. Deer is better." He raises his shield above his head to protect it, poking his sword forward to see how close the troll is.

Gwendion attacks Ollie with his Longsword, but Ollie parries the attack with his Club!


[Ollie(#15066)] The seeking sword finds wood, jabbing into the length of Oliver's club - somewhere. Angrily, Oliver retorts, "Hasn't got deers!" as he jabs back. The club scrapes along the rocky floor as he shoves it at the man.

Ollie attacks Gwendion with his Club and badly wounds him!


[Gwendion(#24427)]

The club lands soundly against the shield, knocking it soundly back into Gwendion's face. Disoriented and bloodied, he has bought whatever time he could for the Eagle and his fellowship; Gwendion looks towards the faint light of the exit of the cave and runs for it.


Gwendion tries to flee from Ollie, but he fails!


[Ollie(#15066)] Oliver spies the man trying to run, and snatches at him again; to grab and keep. "Ollie wants dinners!" he shouts.

[Combat(#13388)] Ollie unwields The Squasherator.

Ollie attacks Gwendion with his Bare Hands, but Gwendion parries the attack with his shield!

[Combat(#13388)] Ollie wields The Squasherator.


[Gwendion(#24427)]
The hand reaches out for the Knight, but as the finger's slip around his armor, a swipe with his shield bats the hand away. Panting through gritted teeth, the Knight continues to scamper across the rocky floor.

Gwendion tries to flee from Ollie, but he fails!


[Ollie(#15066)]
Oliver's furious shout rings through the cave as his fingers slip off the shield. He takes a step after the man, snatching out again to grab him.

 Ollie attacks Gwendion with his Bare Hands!


[Gwendion(#24427)]
The nails of the beast scrape across the back of the Knight neck until the catch his cloak. As it yanks against his neck, Gwendion quickly reaches up and tears the clasp open, the cloak dropping the floor as the chase continues.

Gwendion tries to flee from Ollie, but he fails!


[Ollie(#15066)]
A cloak slithers through the troll's fingers and he throws it behind him, surging forward, and grabbing again. "Yer comes back!" he shouts. If Gwendion didn't have a headache before, it's likely he is getting one now... all that noise can't be good for the eardrums.


[Gwendion(#24427)] The hand grabs the Knight's shoulder, holding him back, "Can you hear it?" Gwendion shouts, "Your moose is outside. Just let me go and get it!" He attempts to duck from the troll, to free himself and escape once more.


[Ollie(#15066)] "YER LIES!" Oliver shouts enraged. Gwendion scrambles through the doorway to the cave, but he is not yet safe - the troll comes charging after him. The opening is just big enough for him to get through; a larger troll would be able to get in, but not easily.


[Gwendion(#24427)]

From the cave's mouth comes a grisly sight. Scrambling to his feet, his face wet with blood, much of it dripping freely from his nose and chin, Gwendion limps from the edge of the cave, a battered shield on his arm, and his blade dragging behind him.

He does not even take the time to look, only to shout to any that would hear him, "Run!" And so to does he take his own advice.


[Ollie(#15066)] It is only a minute, if that, before Oliver is out as well. His great head whips around as he looks to see which way the man has fled; and then he is scrambling up the rocky embankment towards the road.


[Fîndon(#29212)]
There, Findon awaits them.

Whither the elf? Who can say. Fleeting are the eldar.

"Gwendion!" He cries, rushing in to lend the knight a helping hand. "Come, the day is old but bright yet!"

And so it is; there is brightness spilling into the mouth of the cave; this the humblest of abodes, but it is waning.


[Gwendion(#24427)]

"Fool, Squire! I should name you Carmayar for the rest of your years!" Gwendion shouts even as he takes Findon's aid, the mail hand gripping the should of the squire, "I will speak long with your Lord on the merit of doing what you are told."

He coughs once more, a spat of blood following the fit, "But for now, you have only my thanks."


[Ollie(#15066)] Boulders roll down the slope and splash into the river, foretelling the troll's arrival. But just as his head clears the slope, a ray from the setting sun flashes off some shiny thing and Oliver stops. The need to save one's hide is even stronger than fury or hunger - and he screams with rage, beating at the ground with his club. But comes no farther.


[Menelglir(#17324)]
Is that a drowned rat yonder? No, tis Menelglir, having struggled to his feet but recently, sword, regained, and in hand. He stumbles forward on seeing Gwendion escape.

"Sir! The horses and wagon before the sun sets!"


[Fîndon(#29212)]
"Of course, Sir!" Findon answers, to either particular statement or both, daring a glance over his shoulder at the monstrous Oliver's rage, as he secures an arm about the other man. And then, putting forth such strength as there is in him, speeds their way out into the brightness, without so much as a farewell.

"Menelglir, make ready!"

"Move!"


[Gwendion(#24427)]

His steps come quickly, despite the injuries, and quickly with Findon's help Gwendion rushes to the wagon. There he climbs into the seat opposite the driver and slumps over, the rings of mail soon becoming a sticky mess of blood and mucous; spent of all energy, he says no more, sword falling from his hand, onto the floor of the wagon.


[Sulgirion(#16643)]
And as the youth stirs, there is a relief flashed in Sulgirion's gaze, for he yet stands watch over Menelglir. But the gladness quickly turns darker however as the Knight emerges with his warning, wrathful troll in following suit. He spreads wide his wings at the sight of Ollie, and the eagle nudges Menelglir and the nearby body of the Ranger, urging them to flee while they can. As for the olog? He is granted a sharp avian shriek in return. "Retire now to your cave, beast of night!" the raptor cries, piercing eyes glaring even as the sun dances in them. "Your meals have escaped, and you dare not come in pursuit. Be gone now!"

Sulgirion waits now, to make sure that Menelglir and the others complete their retreat.


[Menelglir(#17324)]
To the wagon Menelglir runs, stumbling a step or more in doing so, but making it yet. The reins are shaken furiously; the wagon surges forward with a lurch as horse responds to the call. "Wind Lord!" he calls after the eagle. "Tarry not!" They surge east.


[Fîndon(#29212)]
Then, gathering the reins, the Telumehtar esquire mounts his gray, and wheels the horse around; a hand extended downwards. "Come now, Bunny," Findon says, a dim glance shot towards the shore of the river, and then the sky; and lastly, the ranger who remains afoot.

"Time to go."


[Aurfaen(#16622)] Aurfaen is certainly not graced with any overwhelming desire to linger here; she smiles up at Findon and nods her agreement. Then she takes his hand and jumps up onto the back of Findon's horse. "And far, I hope," Bunny adds once she's seated.


[Gwendion(#24427)]

After a few minutes, the knight manages to lean back into the corner of the bench, a grotesque smile on his face, "Well," he begins to chuckle but instead coughs, "That was not so bad, Menelglir." Slowly he begins to remove his gloves, each falling to the floor with a clatter of metal rings.


[Fîndon(#29212)]
"I too," Findon replies, swaying lightly in the saddle as he about turns again; fast overtaking the wagon, and pacing along with it. "A long, long way."


[Sulgirion(#16643)]
With the humans scrambling to get as far away as possible from this place, the avian launches into the sky, which even now is quickly fading toward evening: no time to waste then! "Go!" calls the Wind-rider, and then he answers Menelglir, "I tarry not long, and only for your safe escape."

But, clearly the troll is not coming out, and instead Sulgirion shifts direction in the air, heading after the departing wagon. He flies close overhead, dipping in and out of the sunset's vivid colors as the clouds deepen. A call comes from his beak, as though making sure all the humans below are accounted for and safely on the wagon.


[Menelglir(#17324)]
"Not so bad," Menelglir says, sounding dubious. "Relatively speaking, of course." There's a grimace at that, nearly a smile but not quite so. He looks nervously behind, then to the sky, then to Knight again, as well as a glance to Findon and Ranger.

"What happened? I remember nothing after the troll hit me."


[Aurfaen(#16622)] Aurfaen talks quietly with Findon as they ride along, perhaps in part to ease her nerves in the fading sunlight, the troll still near even if he does not give chase. "I promised to get you all safely through this place...yet I feel as though I am already failing." She looks up, and seeing the eagle overhead, she gives him a wave to tell him they are all there.


[Menelglir(#17324)]
"And that man...the one who looked like a Ranger, but..less travel worn..." Menelglir muses, half to himself.


[Gwendion(#24427)]

"I too remember nothing after the troll hit me," Gwendion replies, reaching to his face and wiping the blood from his eyes and brow. "I have no cloth to staunch the bleeding, mail is poorly suited to such applications. Do you see a shirt or blanket I could use?"


[Findon(#29212)] "... ..., ... .... ..., ... cursed ...," Findon mutters under his breath.

The exhale through the nose speaks more of good-tempered humor than disapproval however. He half turns his face wagon-wards, saying over the shoulder: 'How so? This was our doing, entirely.'


[Sulgirion(#16643)]
Bunny's sign of assurance seems to comfort him, and the large bird overhead swoops lower, coming nigh to the side of the wagon, following along its flank. He looks toward Aurfaen atride the second horse. "You have failed? I think not, my friend..I too gave my promise to see to your company's safe crossing, but it seems in the end the opposite was quite true." There is a silence, and then:

"You should not have come for me, successfully putting yourselves in danger," Sulgirion seems to scold, and he frowns sideways at them. "I did not think humans to be so foolish! ...still if you had not..." He pauses again, and the sound of the wheels, the horses' hoofs, and the beating of the wings envelops the group.

"Still," he repeats, "I am thankful for it; indeed more thankful than any of you shall ever know."


[Menelglir(#17324)]
There is my ruined tunic--the one I had to rip to stop the arrow wound that Buns....nny took," Menelglir, gesturing with one hand to a balled-up white tunic stained with blood. He tries a small smile to the Ranger, before returning attention to Gwendion. "Are you hurt badly? And...what of the other...the man that was with us? Where is he?" This is asked of all.


[Aurfaen(#16622)] Aurfaen turns her head, glancing to those in the wagon as they ride alongside on Findon's mount. "All right there, Gwendion?" she asks, concerned of course by the gruesome sight of that knight. And then she sees Menelglir's smile, and it's returned broadly. "Still, I meant to keep you all safe," Aurfaen argues, both to Findon and to Sulgirion, "But I suppose no one could have foreseen so many trolls in one place."

When Sulgirion swoops down to fly near them, she scolds him in turn. "No, Sulgirion; I don't leave my friends. You would have come for me, too," she says with confidence. And as they ride along, she rests her head against Findon's back. "The one helping us- he was no Ranger," she attempts to answer Menelglir as well.


[Gwendion(#24427)]

Blindly the Knight reaches out, fumbling near the voice until luck finds him and he takes the tunic, pressing it to his face. Muffled from behind the balled cloth the Knight replies, "My nose is certainly broken. Perhaps some ribs. Maybe more. My head pounds and cannot think. What man do you speak of?"


[Fîndon(#29212)]
"But for Hir Gwendion and that lordling, we would all--..." Findon says, and lifts his face toward Sulgirion...

...but at once thinks the better of voicing it, bowing his head and in masking its support by his hand, rubs the side of his nose with a fingertip; eyes clamped shut. "He was, Uh," He begins, pausing momentarily. "I cannot quite describe the man, I fear. Sulgirion, you," And again, as he turns a glance over his shoulder, "And you, Bunny, seemed to know something of the man, at least?"

He adds quietly, "Take the reins, if you would."


[Sulgirion(#16643)]
"Yes, of course I would have come for you, any of you for that matter," nods the raptor to the Ranger. There is an odd sound that comes from his feathered chest then, and it would appear to be a snort of some sort. "'Unfit blue squires,' indeed," the hazel eyes are directed to Findon and Menelglir, as he recalls one of their previous statements. "You have done much beyond what your rank hints at, friends." He shifts to regard the Knight. "And you, Hir Gwendion, I thank as well, for you came to my aid despite not having known me; coming to the rescue of a stranger, as it would be. I hope it is not too late for introductions? Though I have gathered your name from the calls of your companions."

At Findon's remark, the avian nods the gold head anew. "Yes, I have met that man before, and yet no simply man is he." He quiets then, to let Bunny explain more if she would.


[Menelglir(#17324)]
"And I have you to thank, Hir," Menelglir says quietly toward the eagle. "I -think- I was out of the river...but I cannot rightly recall, though I think you pulled me out? It's...blurred." The youth then falls silent to better concentrate on getting the horse and wagon as far away from the troll as he can.


[Aurfaen(#16622)] "I know a little about healing," Aurfaen calls across to Gwendion, an offer. "Once we find a safer place to stop.." Then, when Findon asks it of her, Bunny slips her arms around his waist so that she can reach for the reins. "Are you feeling well enough?" she wonders, big grey eyes looking up to the older squire in concern. Bunny does not elaborate much further after what Sulgirion has said, saying only, "He is a true friend and ally." Her mind is more on the injuries everyone has sustained, it would seem.


[Fîndon(#29212)]
An exhale again through the nose, and a bleak smile to go with, though Aurfaen may not see it. "I gave you my word, wind rider," He says in answer, and only. But as to what his amusement derives from, that may be difficult to say.

And, bowing his head, he says quietly to Aurfaen, "I shall be fine."

And thus he sits for a while, silent.


[Gwendion(#24427)]

The tunic comes down from Gwendion's face, "Some water, please," he request before answering the Eagle, his eyes falling on the creature in its majesty for the first time. It seems too much for the man as he goes wide eyed, "I think, I think I should sleep." And he slumps over once more.


[Sulgirion(#16643)]
"Yes, I bore you from the Mitheithel's current," replies Sulgirion to Menelglir. "You are lucky you did not drown; that blow from the troll would have felled a tree." The bird looks to Gwendion as if to speak, but clearly the man is not in a state to continue the conversation, and the eagle lets him be.

"My time has been fulfilled, for now the bridge lies behind us," he says to the group as a whole. "I believe I mentioned that past this point I would have to leave you. And yet I cannot help but feel in your debt, my good squires, knight, and Ranger. I must return to the eyries ere much longer, but they await me eastward, in the direction you are traveling. I wish to see you as far as I am able, if you would have my company."
The blaze of the setting sun dances on the creature's feathers, their golden hues aglow with reds and oranges. The mighty wings maintain their flapping, carrying the eagle alongside the Gondorians and the Dunadan.


[Menelglir(#17324)]
"I feel as if I have been hit by a tree," Menelglir replies, then glances to the slumped form of the Knight, "though perhaps Hir Gwendion has, from the looks of it.. Not the worst thing, no..." His glance strays to the Ranger who, arms around Findon, guides their horse. A frown there, certainly displeaasure on his part, but he offers no words to it.

"And here--trolls are still a danger? We would have your guidance as long as you may give it."


[Aurfaen(#16622)] The young Dunedain, who has been heavily drowsing after such a trying day, despite holding the reins of Findon's horse, startles into alertness once more. "We would be glad of it, my friend," she says to Sulgirion with a grateful smile. And while the Ranger leans against Findon's back, she looks over to check on her companions in the wagon- and catches Menelglir's frown. Her cheeks crimson, she gives him a curious, wide-eyed glance.


[Sulgirion(#16643)]
Head diping at the young lad and lass' words, and Sulgirion says, "Then I shall give that guidance once more gladly. Call me when you are ready for camp, and I will come down to you; my feathers need tending after, for they are disarrayed from the wretched rope and do not catch the wind as they should. Preening in the air would be far from easy." The great bird seems to laugh at this, though non-preening humans might miss the humor in the comment. He doesn't appear to notice the awkwardness that passes bewteen Aurfaen and Menelglir, or perhaps he is less acccustomed to such curious displays of silly human affection.

"I shall be just overhead," the eagle explains. "As I said the day I first came upon you, look to the sky should you be in need of anything and I will heed your voices." The feathered arms beat harder, blowing a bit of dust upward from the ground. The giant avian rises swiftly into the heavens, his form lost slightly in the darkening evening, but the faint stroke sounds of the wings indicates his presence.


[Menelglir(#17324)]
"Fly well, then," Menelglir offers, tone full of weariness. "The Ranger and I, it seems, must make the decision on a safe place to stop in the dark, and soon. No fires tonight, alas, though I am soaked to the bone and chilled," he sighs. "But no doubt you will find us despite that?"

It is after the bird has taken flight that the Squire looks again to Ranger, lips pressed together at the woman's blush. "You are not hurt, are you?" he asks quietly, then adds, jealously, "Certainly if you are hurt, Findon will take care of you."


[Aurfaen(#16622)] Aurfaen smiles skyward, calling up to the departing eagle, "Thank you, my friend." There's weariness and relief on her features, knowing that someone is watching out for them from the skies. But there's a familiar voice addressing her- she turns her grey eyes to Menelglir once more. She opens her mouth to answer, "I'm alrii--" and stops short, as a statement quickly follows this question that makes her blush deepen, and she stares down the passing ground for a moment. A breath, and then she looks up, answering him, "I think Findon is the one in need of some care right now. And- you? Are you hurt?" Bunny asks quietly, her features uncertain and still blushing.


[Menelglir(#17324)]
The answer seems to shame Menelglir, whose own cheeks now heat with color. "How badly is he hurt? We could stop and move him to the wagon. Then perhaps keep going until daylight? Or is it safer to stop?" He sighs, continuing. "I hurt. It hurts to breathe and even move. Bruises, broken? I cannot say. More, I need a fire and dry clothing, but neither can be had at the moment."


[Aurfaen(#16622)] Aurfaen keeps her arms around Findon, supporting him as they ride. "He took a sound clubbing, and I think it's made him dizzy," Bunny appraises, openly concerned, though for some reason, even saying this much about the elder blue squire still leaves her blushing. "He was very brave.." she trails off, listening as Menelglir tells her of his own injuries. "Broken? Do -you- need to stop, and let me see? Do you need m--?" Bunny cuts off her last question, and instead adds, "Let's ride on until I find a place safe for a camp.."


[Menelglir(#17324)]
"Then let us hurry. The horses are fresh and the need is great, for Findon and Hir Gwendion more so than me." With that, Menelglir urges the horse to a faster pace, hurrying through the night.


[Aurfaen(#16622)] "Right," Aurfaen murmurs, resting her head against Findon once more though she holds the reins, leaving it mainly to their mount to keep the steady pace for now. The right direction? Farther away from the trolls, for tonight, and on to other untold dangers.

 


Date added: 2009-12-16 13:04:34    Hits: 78
Powered by Sigsiu.NET RSS Feeds