Elendor Info

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Logs

The Chase Is On

Tags: Bugzlok,  Grodor,  Grimbeorn,  Haldir,  Sachem,  Sudanir,  Veredhiel,  Witch-king

Short Summary: The orc scouts pursue the Mirkwood Elves through the forest after the tree burning. Meanwhile, two Galadhrim offer aid, and Grimbeorn's arrival is welcomed by something far worse than orcs...
Date (real-life): 2010-09-20
Scene Location: North Mirkwood

Mirkwood

The view is blocked in most directions by towering dark trunks, holding heavy and crooked boughs hight above the ground. The gloomy ancient forest seems to draw more and more strenght from you as you travel deeper. Beneath you feets the forestbottom is wet and icy and around you the midday winter air is chilly.
The thick undergrowth between the mighty boles is dead and covered in piles of leaves, the thick bushes by the roadside are pricky and bare.

It is raining. You can hear the raindrops fall all around you and you are soon drenched. The rain sprinkles down slowly making the ground muddy.

Contents:
Haldir
Grodor
Witch-king
Sudanir
Sachem
Mara
Bugzlok
Morian Orc Camp
Orc Raiding Party
Obvious exits:
West, East, NorthWest, and SouthWest


---------------------------------------------------------------- +ELF TIME ----
================== Eldarin Calendar <in Sindarin> ===================
IC time is:    Early Afternoon < About  1:23 PM >
IC day is:     Orgaladhad <Trees-day>
IC date is:    24 Rhiw <Winter>
Moon phase:    Last Quarter <HIDDEN>
Earendil:      Gil-Estel is not visible.
IC year is:    Loa 26 o Yen 22, Nelandran o Endor <TA 3050>
---------------------------------------------------------------------
RL time:        Mon Sep 20 19:08:01 2010
=====================================================================
Calendar help: +ELF TIME HELP    Quenya version: +ELF TIME QUENYA
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Formin has arrived.


[Sudanir(#31361)]
To the south, the fires rage in the night, fueled by torch fuel soaked into living bark, burning the semi-green trees where they stand. The sounds of crackling wood are horrible, the creaking and groaning of the wood nearly unbearable. Acrid smoke wends its way tentacle-like through the still, cold, wet air of Mirkwood, announcing with unmistakeable clarity the tragic scene to the south. Through the thick, still forest, a line of elves run northward, injured, tired, discouraged, heart-sickened. Virtually soundless they run, bows in hand and spent quivers on their backs.


[Witch-king(#28583)]
And whether they know it or not, they are pursued by cunning, careful shapes; quiet of foot and clever indeed as they keep to the dancing shadows. Slinking their way behind the Elvenfolk, nary a word spoken to betray their presence, orcs follow in the Eldar's wake.

It would seem the stealth of the Elves is not unique.


[Bugzlok(#11425)]
         Among this group of dark shapes, near their front is the Uruk Scout Bugzlok. He runs silently and swiftly, moving in the darkness but a short distance away from the elves. His crude Scimitar is still in his hand and he is covered in ash from the fire, his eyes portray resolve as he tracks and chases the tree rats.


[Haldir(#25231)] 
But not all who yet remain in the forest are pursuers and pursued. The grey cloaks of tall and lithe figures in the trees do well to keep out the smoke, their fair faces masked and hooded, their war-bows strung and quivers bristling with white feathered arrows.

One of these hidden watchers shifts beneath his colorless shroud, moving from one branch to another: he looks behind his shoulder for another.


[Sachem(#32030)] 
Sachem runs through the forest like a hunter stalking his prey, his long strides more like man than orc thanks to his height and build. On his face is a smear of crimson stains, blood from a sacrifice used to write signs of power across his swarthy skin. Suddenly, the orc king comes to a halt and crouches down. He sniffs the air and reaches out with a hand, tracing a mark on the ground and then picking at a plant nearby... The hunter springs up again and resumes his relentless run.


[Veredhiel(#22564)]
And behind Haldir moves another form, slipping from bough to bough as swiftly and quietly as a passing shadow. Her longbow is already strung, though it remains hung about her back for the nonce. Pulling her gray hood lower over her raven-haired head, Veredhiel peers downward with a pair of keen eyes as she follows after the marchwarden. A frown passes her features as she observes the foul creatures who hunt below.


[Bugzlok(#11425)]
         Eyes shooting to the ground, as if spotting something upon the ground the Uruk Scout Bugzlok changes his direction slightly, he runs at full speed, tracking his pray with an evil grin upon his face. Moving from one patch of darkness to another, darting about whilst running after his pray.


[Grodor(#26310)] from the forest comes a orc wearing red robes chanting mysterious things of fire then he sits down and builds a fire very carfully he lights it


[Sachem(#32030)] 
Sachem tracks his prey relentlessly, zigging and zagging through the trees and underbrush, never hesitating after a moment's stop to choose the next leg of his course through the forest. Then, at the edge of a small break in the trees, the climax draws nigh as Sachem lays eyes on his prey! He takes up his battle axe and with a great two-handed throw that sends the weapon flying end over end, he attacks that which he has been hunting: a great deer fleeing the fires to the south!

The beautiful deer with dark innocent eyes and its puffy white tail is suddenly struck down as the axe cleaves its flank, sending the poor creature to the ground where it desperately struggles to rise again and flee. But soon its struggles are slowed by a loss of blood. But it is not dead yet.

[Combat(#13388)] Sachem Hangs his Battle-Axe in his back.


[Grodor(#26310)] when the orc is done chanting he gets up and walks away letting the fire die down


[Sudanir(#31361)]
The Silvan elves continue on, each choosing his own path but taking the same general northward direction, and at pretty much the same pace. They run along old logs fallen to the ground, and on pathways alongside, and on little forays into the trees and then back down to the ground without scarcely skipping a step. But then there's a sound behind, a scream of a deer, as unforgettable as it is unimaginable. He takes his arrow and nocks it to his bow, ready to shoot it back into the face of the pursuit, but each second is a second he falls behind. After a moment's thought, he raises his bow and shoots it, then turns and make up for lost momentum.

[Combat(#13388)] Sudanir reaches for the longbow at their back and wields it
Sudanir launches an arrow...

Sudanir's arrow flies wide, doing no harm.


[Haldir(#25231)] 
At the fall of the deer, a flicker of fire is awoken in the eyes of those watchers in the trees, but no sudden movement do they yet make. Haldir retrieves a coil of soft grey rope from his shoulder, passing one silken end to the other Galadhrim.

"When it is time, make the rope fast to the base, and then return to the trees," the marchwarden says, lips barely moving beneath the cloth that covers much of his face. "Your longbow will be needed, Veredhiel."


[Bugzlok(#11425)]
         Seeing the arrow fly by his face the Uruk Scouts face turns to one of rage and he picks up his pace, running at a dead sprint for the attacking Elf.. His eyes show loathing as he rushes the elf, crude scimitar in hand. Closing the distance between himself and the elf due to the elf slowing down he slashes out with his scimitar, aiming for the shoulder of the elf.


Bugzlok attacks Sudanir with his Scimitar, but he misses by an arm's length.


[Veredhiel(#22564)]
The elleth replies with a wordless nod, and she reaches to take up the offered end of elven rope. Veredhiel's second hand coils about the yew wood of her bow, and it is held at the ready. Her mouth tightens into a thin line as the deer falls, and the gaze that continues to watch the orcs below shows more disdain. The expression does not improve as Bugzlok's scimitar flies for Eldarin shoulder.

COMBAT - Wielded: Elven Longbow


[Sachem(#32030)] 
Sachem sprints up to the deer and puts a boot to its side as he grasps the haft of his axe. He pulls it free from the soon-to-be carcass and then with a single chop, he cuts off the deer's head, sending hot steaming blood spraying all over before the heart slows and then ceases its beating. The orc king bends low and sticks his face into the spray of blood, bathing himself and licking with his tongue the lifeblood of the creature. Then he rises up, his terribly ugly face expressing a feeling of glee as his bloodlust is satiated for the moment.

[Combat(#13388)] Sachem releases a large, broad bladed Battle-Axe from it's restrains, grasping it's handle tightly with his gauntlets.


[Sudanir(#31361)]
The arrow scarcely leaves Sudanir's bowstring, flying wide and harmless, incidentally, when another orc charges from the side, swinging his foreign sword. Sudanir's face lights up with surprise, and he dances backward, the air swishing where he had been just moments before. Lamentably stuck on the ground, and engaged, Sudanir drops his bow and takes his spear, dancing backwards once again, in anticipation of an attack pressed.

[Combat(#13388)] Sudanir hangs the longbow over his shoulder again.
[Combat(#13388)] Sudanir takes her stance and the spear seems to be almost an extension of her arm. She watches you carefully and her eyes burn darkly.


[Haldir(#25231)] 
"Now," murmurs Haldir, running to the edge of the branch, letting the grey rope hang tendril-like between them. "And then ready your bow."

The grey marchwarden is gone, leapt to another tree. The sudden pull of the hithlain shows that he has descended to the ground a short distance away, across the path of the pursuers, though it would not attract much notice in this chaos of runners.


[Bugzlok(#11425)]
         Seeing his attack miss the Uruk scout hisses at the elf but still continues to grin evilly, and seeing the elf draw forth his spear he slashes out once again with his crude scimitar aiming for the elves stomach, screeching loudly as he does so.. As if bringing other Uruks to him.


Bugzlok attacks Sudanir with his Scimitar, but he misses by a mile.


[Veredhiel(#22564)]
And just as quickly is Veredhiel gone, flitting from limb to limb to descend, pulling her end of the rope along with her. Dropping with nary a sound to the forest floor on the opposite side of the path from Haldir, she works deftly, slender fingers looping, wrapping, and securing the hithlain to the base of her tree. No sooner is this done, than an arrow is nocked to bowstring, and the sentinel leans against the trunk of the tree, waiting and watching to see if any of the scouts following Buzglok will be hindered by this elven tripwire.


[Sachem(#32030)] 
As the firelight to the south flickers, sending shadows through the forest as the heat from the flames stirs the canopy and brush, Sachem raises up his blood-stained face, the crimson highlighted by the distant glow of the flames.

The ghoulish goblin, grinning like a demon in hell, calls out, "Woooooooo! Woooooooooooo!" Again and again the sound is heard echoing through the trees,

"Wooooooooooo!"


Grimbeorn emerges through the forest from the south west.
Grimbeorn has arrived.


[Sachem(#32030)] 
Woooooooo! Wooooooooo!


[Sudanir(#31361)]
Again, the air swishes right in front of Sudanir, leaving even his clothing unscathed. But it is far too close for comfort. As the orc before him cries out an almost summoning noise, Sudanir turns his spear backward, and tries to smash the butt right into his face.


Sudanir attacks Bugzlok with his Spear, but he misses by a handspan.


[Sachem(#32030)] 
The wooo trails off and is replaced by harsh laughing.


[Bugzlok(#11425)]
         Just moving his head in time to see the butt of the spear miss his face the Uruk Scout grunt at the elf, but continues to call to him his fellow Uruks. Lunging forward he slashes out with his crude weapon again aiming at the elves face saying "Make a necklace from your ears I will." his eyes show pure loathing for his elf enemy.

Bugzlok attacks Sudanir with his Scimitar and moderately wounds him!


[Grimbeorn(#22365)]
From out of the burned forest comes a thundering noise. No stealth is in the approach of this beast,vast and brown. A roar precedes its appearance, and then the bear returns, pounding the ground as it runs toward the orcs.


[Sudanir(#31361)]
Sudanir dodges also, but incorrectly judges the direction (or rather the use) of the foreign blade, and the tip gouges into the side of his neck, missing the most important of vessels, but still causing him to bleed freely. He grunts in pain and aggravation, and takes a jump backward, throwing up his spear as if it were a staff, to block the next blow.


Sudanir attacks Bugzlok with his Spear, but he misses by a handspan.


[Bugzlok(#11425)]
         Taking a step back the Uruk Scout raises his Scimitar to his mouth and licks the Elfs blood from the blade with a cruel grin.. Then readying his blade once more he says "You will taste good over the fire.." and then he lunges forward thrusting his scimitar forward at the stomach of the elf.


Bugzlok attacks Sudanir with his Scimitar and badly wounds him!


[Haldir(#25231)] 
Haldir's eyes narrow as the howling increases in volume and then stops, and he draws back an arrow on his bow. The bear is unheeded, perhaps even welcomed, behind his mask, yet he makes no sign of recognition to betray his position.

The white-fletched arrow darts unexpectedly from the underbrush, flying out towards Bugzlok, who assails his kin.

Haldir launches an arrow...
Haldir's bowshot hits Bugzlok, badly wounding him.


[Witch-king(#28583)]
As the mighty bear crashes into view, some few of the orcs at the rear of the pursuit turn and freeze at the sight of it. Fear-filled eyes watch it come, their weapons wobbling in their grasp, ere they begin to tumble as best they can out of the great bruin's charge.

And yet, even as they scramble, it would seem that another gaze loiters in the dark, fixing no doubt on this new arrival. The shadows of the forest, already set into a giddy dance by the distant firelight, start to pool and collect behind the trees; swelling and growing as though stirred by some dark will. A chill returns to the air, which the son of Beorn may have already felt once this night, and within the gloom a new figure steps forth.

Clothed head to toe in black, a deep cowl turned towards the rampage of the bear, this figure walks with neither stealth nor boldness; merely a purposeful stride as it heads to intercept. A heavy, black mace rests in one hand, and were any eyes to look upn him they would have a trial indeed not to fill with despair -- some sinister malice walks at his side.

[Combat(#13388)] Witch-king draws out his heavy black mace, holding it aloft as if it were nothing.


[Bugzlok(#11425)]
         Seeing his blade strike the Elf again the Uruk scout grins.. But then howls in pain as he is struck in the back by an arrow.. And it buries itself deep in his flesh.. Still howling in pain he hisses at the elf in front of him and says "You be lucky this day.." and with that he takes off into the woods, running as fast as his feet will carry him.. Grunting in pain with each step.


[Grimbeorn(#22365)]
Left and right the bear weaves, orcs scattering about him like dried out twigs. If the bear feels the cold and fear of the approaching darkness, it shows only in a few stumbling steps in his run, but he crashes on forward, breaking through orcs. THe dark figure way in the back--there: THe bear heads toward it.


[Sachem(#32030)] 
Sachem crouches down once more, a free hand resting on the cooling carcass. He looks this way and that at the shadows, the souhd of battle in his ears, eyee narrowed as they search for pale faces gleaming in the light. There is one. Even as his fellow orc moves away, Sachem surges toward Sudanir, a forest spirit bringing death.


[Witch-king(#28583)]
The orcs are scattered indeed by Grimbeorn's wrath; two fall with broken backs as they slump from the trees they have been flung against, but this seems to dismay the black-clad figure at their rear little. A mocking laugh seeps from his hood, and halting in his advance the fell arrival points his mace out at the bear's charge, waiting it seems for the mighty beast to assail him first.


[Bugzlok(#11425)]
         Still fleeing with an elf arrow buried deep in his back is the Uruk Scout Bugzlok.. Running though the pain he runs as fast as he can.. Until something catches his shins.. Sending him face first into the ground.. Cursing loudly and howling in pain once again.


[Sudanir(#31361)]
Sudanir's surprise at the lucky turn of events (if luck is even what you would call it) is obvious on his face, relief mixed with pain as he clutches his side where the armor turned the blade, and it caught in his flesh. Spear still in hand, he reaches down to grab his bow, when the bloody orc charges him loudly. Finding no more time to tarry, Sudanir runs light footed toward one of the nearest trees, not particularly suited to climbing as some are, but anything can be climbed with just a little determination. He lets go of his side, his bloody hand leaving marks where he places it for purchase or balance.


[Grimbeorn(#22365)]
Into the laughing black figure does the bear launch itself, a mighty leap meant to take all its weight against this foe. There's something unusual in the bear's eyes--cold fear--but it fights against it and leaps nonetheless.

Grimbeorn attacks Witch-king with his Beijabar Fists, but Witch-king parries the attack with his Mace!


[Sachem(#32030)] 
More violent laughter follows Sudanir as Sachem stops at the base of the tree, not interested in climbing.


[Witch-king(#28583)]
As the bear lunges forth, his black-clad target moves with a grace perhaps unexpected, and slips to one side to avoid the fury of those mighty paws. Out slips his mace in defense to make sure of his evasion, turning aside the claws, ere it rises anew in quick succession to strike back. Out flies the heavy weapon, seeking the snout of the great bruinen, even as the shadows around them writhe and snatch for purchase on the bear's hide.


Witch-king attacks Grimbeorn with his Mace, but Grimbeorn parries the attack with his Beijabar Fists!


[Haldir(#25231)] 
Silently does a cloaked figure step from the cover of the trees, his fair head helmed and his features obscured, protected even, by a wrapping of cloth. In one gloved hand is drawn a longsword.

Haldir approaches the blood-stained Sachem with slow steps, his eyes cold even in the heat of the flame.

"Do you seek prey, Mountain King?" the marchwarden utters slowly in Westron. "I have something I desire to give thee."


[Veredhiel(#22564)]
Lingering still behind her tree bole, Veredhiel's eyes alight upon the orc-king who pursues Sudanir, and she frowns. The elven bow is raised as she leans to the side in order to aim around the trunk, and a grey-fletched dart is stretched back to the bottom of a pointed ear. There is a pause, and then a twang as it is released, even as Haldir steps forth.

[Combat(#13388)->Veredhiel]
You fire off an arrow at Sachem...

Your arrow hits Sachem, mildly wounding him!

[Combat(#13388)] Haldir wields Longsword.


[Grimbeorn(#22365)]
A swipe of a mighty paw and the beijabar manages to smash the mace away from its nose. The bear turns, twisting, tumbling, turning about to renew its attack, teeth and claws seeking this enemy.

Grimbeorn attacks Witch-king with his Beijabar Fists, but he misses by a handspan.


[Sachem(#32030)] 
Sachem turns as the new Elf's voice is heard. Raising his axe to a casual position of readiness, he is about to reply when an arrow grazes his arm. He skirms at the sting and trickle of blood before answering Haldir. "What's that?"


[Bugzlok(#11425)]
         Getting to his feet slowly is the Uruk Scout Bugzlok, cursing loudly he is once again standing and takes off in a run.. Though grunting with each step as blood oozes from the arrow in his back..


[Haldir(#25231)] 
"A wound," replies the elven marchwarden, spreading his cloaked arms to reveal sword and shield. "Which you have before provided me so generously. Now it is returned to its owner."

Unheeding of the arrow that skims across the orc's flesh, Haldir darts forward, bringing up the glittering sword-tip at Sachem's arm.

[Combat(#13388)] Haldir puts on Studded Leather Shield.

Haldir attacks Sachem with his Longsword, but Sachem parries the attack with his Battle Axe!


[Witch-king(#28583)]
Meanwhile, once more does the black figure in the shadows move deftly, and as the paws of the bear pass him by a cold laughter comes anew from within his cowl. "Swipe in vain, giant of the woods," mocks he to the son of Beorn. "Your clumsy strokes merely tire your limbs. Submit to me now, and your pains will be the fewer..."

And with that the darkness rises up around the pair of them; a menace of dread clawing upon the air to assail Grimbeorn's wits. Tall and terrible might the fell figure seem now to the great bear, lest he has some strength of will to resist the vision, and though it may be some canny trick of the firelight, a flame-filled gaze might seem to kindle within the hood as he stares his foe down.

"Submit," urges the figure again with a low hiss, "or must I pull thy teeth as though a rabid wolf?"


[Sudanir(#31361)]
Sudanir pauses at the first fork of the tree, looking down at the gruesome orc that seems to have him treed. Using the moment to stow his fighting gear away, he then goes up to the next limb, pausing there to grab a handful of snow that sits wetly and heavily at the base of a branch, and pack it into the bleeding gash in his side, hissing softly and closing his eyes. The smell of smoke and blood in his nose, the sound of twanging bows and slashing swords in his ears. "Oh, for an elleth..." he whispers.


[Sachem(#32030)] 
There is bright flash as the axe catches the firelight as it sweeps to intercept the longsword. Pausing just a moment to reply, Sachem grins fiendishly, "You all look the same to me!" Then he jerks back and turns in a fierce swipe at Haldir's midsection with both hands!


Sachem attacks Haldir with his Battle Axe, but he misses by a handspan.


[Haldir(#25231)] 
Haldir dances back, swiftly evading the swipe of the battle-axe. "Yet some bite harder than the others," he retorts, thrusting the longsword at Sachem's throat.


[Grimbeorn(#22365)]
The bear pants heavily, as if suddenly all of its limbs are weary, but the fire in its own eyes never ceases. A low growl starts in its throat and then, with determination, grows louder. And that is the bear's reply to the threats--that and a suddenly renewed attack, fiercer now than ever. The bear has answered.

Grimbeorn attacks Witch-king with his Beijabar Fists and mildly wounds him!


Haldir attacks Sachem with his Longsword and mildly wounds him!


[Veredhiel(#22564)]
Mouth pulling into a tight line once more, the sentinel frees her hands for the moment from her bow to climb up the gnarled trunk, swift and sure as a squirrel. Then Veredhiel is off into the canopy, booted feet stepping lightly from branch to branch until she is able to make a final leap toward Sudanir's tree. Climbing down to near her norther cousin, she perches there on the limb. "<Sindarin> How badly are you hurt? I am no healer, but perhaps...I could be of aid." The longbow is taken up again, and a fresh arrow nocked. She peers down to the duel between king and marchwarden below.


[Sachem(#32030)] 
Sachem ducks to one side and the longsword cuts into the side of his face. "Aaaargh!" Pained but not fazed by his bad looks getting badder, the orc-king looks now hideous as he grunts and twists and hacks at Haldir's side opposite his swordarm.


Sachem attacks Haldir with his Battle Axe, but Haldir parries the attack with his Longsword!


[Sudanir(#31361)]
Sudanir's eyes open, and there before him is in fact...an elleth. Though if it is the one, it is hard to say. His face seems a mask of pain, and blood runs down his shoulder from his neck on one side, and the worse wound, packed with snow, still drips heavily, the snow melting as it mixes with his hot blood. Sudanir tries to smile at Veredhiel. "<Sindarin> Greetings, mellon, and welcome to my Wood." he says softly, then looks down at the wound at his side and slowly moves his hand, which had been applying pressure...away. It begins to bleed more freely once again.


[Haldir(#25231)] 
The shining longsword is brought up to meet the force of the axe, with Haldir bracing his shield hand near the top to add resistance -- sparks fly out from the flat of the blade. Eyes blazing, a grim smile beneath the cloth mask, the marchwarden stabs forward again at the orc's chest.


Haldir attacks Sachem with his Longsword, but he misses by a handspan.


[Witch-king(#28583)]
As Grimbeorn's fists find their mark at last, his black-clad foe is driven back a pace or two, and now the cold laughter ends, to be replaced by a hiss of rage. Thwarted in the persuasion, the shadows about them roil all the more, and though he seems harmed little, the landing of the bear's blows seems to have angered the figure for true.

Whirling about then, a rasp of effort escaping the hood from the force of the fists, the figure steals to the left, swinging up his heavy mace in a bid to shatter Grimbeorn's jaw.


Witch-king attacks Grimbeorn with his Mace, but he misses by a handspan.


[Sachem(#32030)] 
Haldir misses and Sachem takes the opportunity to chop straight at Haldir's wrist, twisting to aim true.


Sachem attacks Haldir with his Battle Axe, but Haldir parries the attack with his shield!


[Grimbeorn(#22365)]
Lucky is the bear as the momentum of its attack carries it past the mace, so that it meets only air. And then, having been successful once against this enemy, it tries again, coming up from behind this time with renewed fury.

Grimbeorn attacks Witch-king with his Beijabar Fists and lightly wounds him!


[Veredhiel(#22564)]
The elleth manages a faint smile in greeting, though it is tained with worry, and she looks down at the blood. "<Sindarin> I thank you for your welcome, mellon. If only it were on a better occasion. Here," Veredhiel begins to busy herself with tearing a few long pieces of her grey cloak, and leans forward to try and wrap them about the injury as best she may. "<Sindarin> A pity there seems to be many visiters to your Wood today. And not all of them are as welcome, nor come they with as good intent."


[Haldir(#25231)] 
The axe thuds into the shield of Haldir's other arm, meeting only hardened hide, and not the well-practiced sinews and joints that now, with a flick of the wrist, bring the elven longsword over the shield-block and towards Sachem's shoulder.


Haldir attacks Sachem with his Longsword and mildly wounds him!


[Sachem(#32030)] 
The sword scores only a glancing blow as Sachem grits his teeth, not from pain, but from frustration and angry. But this is an orc and orcs tend to feed of their emotions. He brings the battle axe up to push away the shield and then chop at Haldir's chest!

Sachem attacks Haldir with his Battle Axe, but he misses by an arm's length.


[Witch-king(#28583)]
Once more do the claws of the bear rend the shadowy form before him, and lo! the dread figure is shoved forward frantic steps; for a moment the darkness slackens and the chill upon the air is lessened.

But no mere orc or timid slave of the Enemy is this, it appears, for even with a fell wheeze of anger the figure faces Grimbeorn anew, and whatever sinister assault is at his command redoubles with venom. Sharp and evil is the plague of the air as it wraps around the bear now, and with dreadful speed the figure springs forth. Out lashes his mace once more, rising up then down in a brutal arc as he seeks to break the back of the noble son of Beorn.


Witch-king attacks Grimbeorn with his Mace, but he misses by an arm's length.


[Haldir(#25231)] 
"But a scratch I have given you," Haldir observes as he steps back from the blow, consternation in his voice. "I shall endeavor to do better." These last words are accompanied by striding feet, as the Elf lunges for Sachem's belly.


Haldir attacks Sachem with his Longsword, but he misses by a handspan.


[<#31361>] "<Sindarin> Unwelcome guests...yes...have been here for months, since before the first snowfall. I fear if they stay too long, they will come to like it here." He lifts his arm to allow Veredhiel easier access, and partially unfastens his armor. As she wraps his wound, he hisses and tenses again, but withstands it as stoicly as he can manage. "<Sindarin> I am Sudanir, mellon."


[Sachem(#32030)] 
Haldir lunges and Sachem does an impressive 360 degree turn as he rolls out of the way and to the side, axe out and arcing around to chop at Haldir's back and sever his spine. "Wooooooooo!"


Sachem attacks Haldir with his Battle Axe and moderately wounds him!


[Grimbeorn(#22365)]
The bear twists again, its speed outmatching the swing of the mace this night, though even the bear is starting to show signs of fatigue in this fight. Still, determined, it turns about to face the foul creature once more, claws slashing in an attempt to end this fight here and now. It swings, perhaps, only at the darkness before it.


Grimbeorn attacks Witch-king with his Beijabar Fists and lightly wounds him!


[Witch-king(#28583)]
The bear is getting the better of his fiendish foe, but while once again the sound of his paws crashes into armour beneath the black robes, still his adversary shows few signs of being conquered. A low, menacing hiss fills the air between them as the figure whirls about, and though the darkness is full wrought already, perhaps the sight of a black fog might been seen to slip from his cowl to Grimbeorn within it.

Up swings the mace of the black figure, up with dreadful purpose to leave a dent in the bears skull, if it may.


Witch-king attacks Grimbeorn with his Mace, but Grimbeorn parries the attack with his Beijabar Fists!


[Veredhiel(#22564)]
"<Sindarin> Well, then let us hope they decide to flee something in the near future. This is not their home. The darkness has not claimed all the forest..not yet. And may it stay that way." Once her wrapping is done, Veredhiel crouches back again, stepping a little away to give Sudanir more room. "<Sindarin> I am Veredhiel. Can you manage to get back on your own?"


[Haldir(#25231)] 
The axe catches Haldir's side as true as one would fell a tree, yet the marchwarden remains standing, and moving also. Gritting his teeth as blood begins to stain his cloak, the elf swings at the still-moving Sachem.


Haldir attacks Sachem with his Longsword, but Sachem parries the attack with his Battle Axe!


[Grimbeorn(#22365)]
This time, the blow of the foul beast of darkness is fended off with an answering blow from the bear's paws. THe bear then tries to press the defense into an offense, lunging forward, huge paws trying to take the beast's neck.

Grimbeorn attacks Witch-king with his Beijabar Fists and moderately wounds him!


[Sachem(#32030)] 
"Mwahahaha!" Sachem laughs with glee as his axe bites and then he reacts to the counter and deftly parries. "A gift for you too, leaf-lord!" He sticks out his hand to wipe up some blood from his axe blade and then smear it across his face, mixing together orc-sacrifice blood, dead deer blood and Haldir blood along with his own from the previous taste of the Elf's blade. "There, we are now blood brothers!"


[<#31361>] "<Sindarin> I can move." Sudanir says softly. "<Sindarin> Though my party is likely far ahead, by now. I will move up higher, near the canopy, and take my time. Thank you, Veredhiel. As good as any healer, I suspect." He smiles, the words feeling thin though. He rises to his feet, and pauses. "<Sindarin> There is something terrible in The Wood though. I can feel it." he whispers, then carefully makes his way up to the next branch.


[Witch-king(#28583)]
Heavy and hard do the paws of the bear crash into the dark figure's frame, and once more might the dread presence in the air be felt to slacken, and even as the mighty hands of Grimbeorn catch a hold of the figure a hideous sound emanates from the deep cowl.

Terrible, awful to hear, wrought by dark arts and filled with the very malice of the Dark Lord it erupts into Grimbeorn's ears, and the mace in the figure's hand is slipped deftly within his robes. In its place comes forth a mighty, pale sword, and given strength perhaps by his fearsome cry the figure drives his evil blade upward in search of the bear's noble heart.

[Witch-king's Robes(#16930)] Witch-king looks to the sky and lets loose a long and shrill scream.
[Witch-king's Robes(#16930)] A shrill and high-pitched wail, full of despair and evil, echoes over the area.

[Combat(#13388)] Witch-king puts away his heavy black mace.
[Combat(#13388)] Witch-king pulls his sword free of its sheath, and the blade glows palely in the eyes any brave enough to gaze upon it.

Witch-king attacks Grimbeorn with his Longsword and badly wounds him!


[Haldir(#25231)] 
Haldir looks upon the orc in distaste, his eyes strained and cold. "I beg to be excused from your blood rituals," he says, beginning to attack once again.

And yet there is a terrible cry that resonates beyond the crackle and roar of the burning forest, and it causes the Elf to stumble, reaching out blindly with his shield-hand as if seeking support.


[Grimbeorn(#22365)]
The bear, too, stumbles, though this perhaps saves it. Deep does the dark creature's blade sink, but it misses the bear's heart. Still, the valiant ursine stumbles, staggers, leaving a trail of blood. Then falls. By all appearances, it is dead.


[Sachem(#32030)] 
"AAAAAHHHHHHH! AAAAAAHHHHHHH!!" The piercing cry reaches Sachem and he falls to his knees as one hand goes to one ear as he tries to cover up and protect himself.


[Veredhiel(#22564)]
The elleth dips her hooded head in return. "<Sindarin> I wish you well then. And a safe journey home, Sudanir." She does not comment on his last statement, though the keen gaze seems to darken at the words. Veredhiel does not follow the other, but remains upon her branch, her fingers curling about the end of the arrow nocked to her bow. The eyes that look down upon the scene at the base of the tree are cold as she watches Sachem. "<Sindarin> Get you gone, foul thing."

No sooner is this spoken, than the dread cry sounds, and her face pales slightly. Fingers slip from the arrow numbly, and it flies far from its original intended course to hit harmlessly into a tree.


[Witch-king(#28583)]
And as the mighty bear falls to earth before him, the fell figure in black raises high his blade into the darkling woods; the shadows about his person grown deep and fearsome.

But then, even in his apparent moment of victory, the blade slowly lowers, and the cowl turns toward the fierce melee close by. An evil rasp escapes his hood then, even as the echoes of his cry fade, and he steals backward a pace. The sword that has seemingly done for the son of Beorn is stowed urgently into his robes, and while the dread that surrounds him is more livid than ever, a low voice grants insight into his thoughts.

"Too soon," he hisses in wrath, and if any had caught the blaze of his eyes earlier there is now nothing but shadow within his hood. Turning away from the battle of the others, nary a kick nor a curse spat upon the apparent corpse of his foe, the dread lord slips back into the shadows of the forest.


[Haldir(#25231)] 
Haldir rises, pale beneath the cloth and soot, yet in his eyes are renewed fury as the echoes fade. "You will not trouble these boughs further," he says to Sachem, stabbing out at the orc who covers his ears.


Haldir attacks Sachem with his Longsword and mildly wounds him!


[Sachem(#32030)] 
Sachem is now half crazed by the shrieking and bloodlust. He goes into some kind of berzerker craze as he gets hit by Haldir's sword. The orc king, axe still in hand, simply turns away and runs off into the forest, a feral look of fear upon his face.


[Veredhiel(#22564)]
It is a while ere the sentinel moves again, and when she does the motion is slow. But then she takes a breath, and does not try to set arrow to bow once more. Instead, Veredhiel's voice emerges from the treetop in an elven sigh. "<Sindarin> Marchwarden! We should leave now, or so my heart tells me. There is worse then yrch in these woods."


[<#25231>]
Haldir makes no move to chase after the fleeing Mountain King, instead sheathing his sword. He turns to the trees, frowning. "<Sindarin> So I have feared, Veredhiel," he replies to the soft voice. "<Sindarin> Let us fly! Yet here is a son of Beorn, wounded, who I would not leave to the mercy of shadow and flame."

Slow steps, though unhindered by the wound in his side, carry him towards Grimbeorn.


[Sachem(#32030)] 
Sachem runs off into the woods for a bit. Farther away from darkness, he seems to come to himself, though his coal eyes are still slightly crazed. The orc shakes his head rapidly and then changes directions. He is now making for the general vicinity of the Elves. "Gotta get my deer!"


[Grimbeorn(#22365)]
With the darkness easing and the sound of elven voices nearing him, the bear shifts slightly. It lives.


[Witch-king(#28583)]
Slowly, as the combatants begin to steal away from one another, the dark menace that has lingered on the air fades; the shadows of the forest returning once more to those cast only by night's veil, and not a sign is seen of the dread figure who duelled with Grimbeorn. It would appear the orcs are on their own once more.


[Veredhiel(#22564)]
The elleth's cowl turns, and the shadowed gaze alights upon the motionless shape of he massive bear. As the creature shifts weakly, Veredhiel moves highr into the trees, reaching for more branches. "<Sindarin> I shall fetch aid. It will take more than two of the Eldar to move him, I fear." A trembling of leaves, and she is gone.


[Sudanir(#31361)]
Sudanir, and many other silvans, make their way ever more slowly in the trees, using caution as well, and their wounds giving them trouble. At last, the elf stops where he is, far up in a tree, and settles into a comfortable place. From his perch, he can see the southern view of Mirkwood, the black smoke from the fires gilt with orange flickers where parts of the forest still burn. He stares at it, tired and discouraged, and begins to sing. Soon, from other trees, more voices of the Eldar arise, in unison and in counterpoint, so that the song seems to come from no particular direction, yet falls toward the forest floor softly, like lazy flakes of snow. Together the voices rise, strong and soft, beautiful and sad.

A lament.


Date added: 2010-09-21 10:31:09    Hits: 101
Powered by Sigsiu.NET RSS Feeds