Elendor Info

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Logs

Search and Capture


Short Summary: The estimable Esgaroth Watch finally catch up with the fugitive Scampre.
Date (real-life): 2011-03-22
Scene Location: The Market Pool
Date (in-game): June 28, 3052
Time of Day: Midnight
Weather: Clear

3/22/2011

03:53 PM
Logfile from Elendor.

Real Time: Tue Mar 22 15:55:54 2011 MST
Dale-Lands Time: Trewsday, midnight on a clear summer's night, June 28 of 3052

The Market Pool(#11540Rto)

  Though this lower level dock extends a great distance, the Market Pool itself lies directly beneath the centre of Esgaroth. Barrels and crates line the wooden retaining walls of the Market Pool, and wooden cranes and pullies line the wharf. Walkways and lanterns line either side of the cargo channel which, eventually, leads to the western end of the docks. A distinct smell of fish stains the air. Sounds of water reverberating against the pilings clap and boom over the noise of the docks.

Along one side of the cargo channel, hidden behind some barrels and crates, you can see a small door hidden upon the wall.

Contents:
Celys
Obvious exits:
 Cargo Channel leads to Esgaroth Docks, Western End.
 Stairway up leads to The Market Square.

[Scampre(#23381)]
It is a calm, quiet evening that descends upon the famed Laketown, and for once even the Market Pool is free of the mists that usually linger above the water's surface. Lamplight shiens clear and bright along the various cargo channels, dappling the crates and barrels that litter the walkways with a yellow warmth.

All the same, for some reason the Market Pool is empty, and above the sloshing of the Lake against the pilings holding the town aloft, there comes the wary creak of a door somwehere among the storehouses.

[Celys(#13888)]
Empty can be such a tricky word. Taken strictly, it implies that there are no objects in the area, but with all the crates and things, that word clearly doesn't apply--so perhaps it means there are no people down here, either.

But the very keen eye might notice a handful of human shapes moving very quietly among the storehouses, so that must not be it, either. They don't seem to be wearing the blue cloaks of the Watch, or any cloaks at all, so perhaps they're just housebreakers or petty thieves. If so, it's probably understandable that, at the sound of someone else down here, they all freeze and turn to look for the source of the sound. Housebreakers are notoriously jumpy, aren't they?

I wonder if housebreakers usually have Watch badges in their pockets.

[Scampre(#23381)]
Whatever the case, the door creaks anew, this time only to close, and quiet footfalls can be heard in the silence; no doubt to their owner's chagrin. There is a sniff of the night air, the shifting of a barrel, and a shadowy figure peeks out into the cargo channel. Lingering there, the figure does not stir further, but appears to be lying in wait.

[Celys(#13888)]
The housebreakers, if housebreakers they be, nod at one another in silent signal. Then they approach the sound of the creak. It's possible to imagine that they are fanning out to make escape more difficult, or to cover more ground. But that doesn't seem right, does it? Or perhaps it does--I've heard rumor that thieves aren't too friendly with spies, even accidental ones. As they draw closer, they begin to search in earnest. None of this business with snatching torches to search the shadows--that's strictly amateur business.

Whoever these men are, then, they know a good deal about stealth, and now they're using that knowledge to search. They seem to know a good deal about searching, too.

[Scampre(#23381)]
The silence reigns as the search commences, and the figure in the shadows merely waits out the night, or seems to. Though, were there any eyes to see, the cloak that shields his features from view is slowly drawn back; ready perhaps to be cast aside at a moment's notice.

The wait continues.

[Celys(#13888)]
The men are getting closer now--their search is methodical, if nothing else. It's only inevitable that one of them, as now, comes close and looks upon the spot where the figure hides.

His sword is out in a flash, even as he cries out, "Here!" and his companions follow suit--five men in total. One of them, a tall, thin man, readies a bow. The rest draw their swords. All of them move to surround the area their companion has identified, even while their companion says, "Identify yourself!"

[Scampre(#23381)]
"Oh, my name's Gunther," replies the shadowy figure, in a rough, gravelly voice. "Just out and about after a night in the tavern. Dear me, seems I found myself in the wrong part of town. I hope you're not thieves! Please, let me go sirs, I don't have any money..."

And with that the figure begins to move worriedly up the cargo channel, heading towards the docks at a fast stroll.

[Celys(#13888)]
The man nearest the figure moves to grab him by the arm as he passes by; the others move so as to block his escape. "If you don't have any money you won't mind me searching you then, will you?" says the nearest man with a growl.

[Scampre(#23381)]
"I will at that!" cries 'Gunther', wreanching his arm away and recoiling. "I don't wish to be searched by a pack of thugs in the night, thank you very much. Kindly leave me alone, or I'll call for the Watch!" With this, the cloaked figure takes a few more hasty steps southward, towards the docks.

[Celys(#13888)]
Two more men stand bodily in the man's way, brandishing their swords menacingly. A third, standing a few paces behind them, holds aloft a badge from the City Watch. The bowman says, "We /are/ the Watch. Now be a good lad and show us your face and let the nice men search you, or it'll be the Stocks for you tonight."

[Scampre(#23381)]
The man stands stock still at this, until he sniffs with interest to ask: "So, if I don't, you'll throw me in the stockade, eh? Do I get to avoid the search if that's the case?"

[Celys(#13888)]
The bowman snorts a laugh and simply says: "'fraid not. And that sounds mighty suspicious to me. Sounds to me like you're hiding something from the Watch." One of the two men blocking his way nods. "Aye, he just confessed to it right in front of us, he did." The bowman nods. "Why don't you just lay down on the ground nice and easy, hands behind your back, and we'll just be taking you in for questioning."

The watchman from behind, meanwhile, creeps up and attempts to lock the man's arms behind him.

[Scampre(#23381)]
But it seems the man in question has no intention of complying, for he jerks his head back in a bid to crush the nose of Watchman behind him, and hollers: "No chance copper! You're as bad as Them!" 'Gunther' attempts to wriggle away from the grasp of those surrounding him, darting to one side as if to dive behind a row of crates.

[Celys(#13888)]
The first man manages to duck aside, though the effort allows his captor to break free. The bowman quickly fires a shot, aiming to hamstring the fleeingman, while the two men previously blocking his way run after him.

The bowman shouts, "Constable! I want all available personnel down here, NOW. Raise the alarm." The man who was standing at a distance nods and takes off at a run, already sounding the shrill cry of a signal whistle. The remaining four give chase.

[Scampre(#23381)]
The arrow does not fly amiss, though the scramble of limbs diminishes its effect; the sharp tip slicing open the back of the fleeing man's calf but seeming not to sever a tendon. All the same he howls in pain, stumbling forward into the wall of crates, and as such ends up in a right old mess of broken wood and spilled trout upon the floor. Thrashing about, clutching at his leg, the man's cloak falls away and 'Gunther' is revealed to be someone else altogether.

It seems the Watch have managed to track down Mr Scampre.

[Celys(#13888)]
The remaining four men scramble around the fallen man. Three swords point at him, with the obvious threat that they will use them if he attempts to move. The bowman sets his bow aside and calmly stands over him. "Well /met/, Mr. Scampre. I'm Sergeant Jax of the Watch, and I am placing you under arrest. Your wounds will be tended to at the station. I suggest you go quietly--there's a lot of Watchmen on their way."

[Scampre(#23381)]
A scowl is sent up to Sergeant Jax, and a rude gesture made in earnest as he scrambles to his feet. All the same, there is little arguing with a ring of swords, and so his shoulders sag in resignation, the scoundrel muttering to himself as he nods.

"Oh, I just cannot -wait- to have every unsolved crime ever committed hurled at me. This is a travelly, er, I mean, a tivasty, er... a mockery of justice!"

[Celys(#13888)]
"I'm glad you're feeling /enthusiastic/, Mr. Scampre. So many men seem to find the prospect of facing justice to be downright unpleasant." Jax nods at the men, who, assuming he is unresisting, bind Scampre's hands behind him. "Can you walk? This will be much easier if you do. I apologize that I can't offer you a crutch, but, well--who /knows/ what sort of things you've got concealed on your person?"

He taps one of the other three men on the shoulder. "You're staying here with me. We're searching the area where this man was hiding--as thoroughly as it takes, as many men as it takes--and only when we're very, very sure, are we making a report to Captain Celys."

[Scampre(#23381)]
There is little the fugitive can do, it seems, other than submit to the binding of his wrists, and he merely scowls at Jax as he nods. "Aye, I can walk. But I aint going nowhere till you tell me how you found me. Someone's narked on me, I reckon, and I deserve to know whodunnit."

[Celys(#13888)]
"Oh, didn't you know?" Jax seems altogether too pleased with himself here. "Your mate Norfred sold you out. You'd have to ask the Captain for more. I'm sure he'd be happy to oblige." He jerks a thumb. "Take him away, boys."

[Scampre(#23381)]
There is a snarl at this, and Scmpre nods darkly, but as he steps forward to follow the 'boys', suddenly he bolts into a run; seeking the edge of the cargo channel.

[Celys(#13888)]
Jax sighs. "A man with no arms won't get far, Mr. Scampre," he calls, even as the three of them break into chase once again. "Just tackle him, boys," he orders, and one of them increases his stride to a sprint, aiming to catch and dive on top of the injured rogue.

[Scampre(#23381)]
But the rogue has other plans, and even as the Watchman lunges, so too does Scampre leap for all he is worth; hurlding the rail of the cargo channel and plunging into the inky murk of the Long Lake below. There is an almighty splash, and then nothing.

[Celys(#13888)]
Jax snatches a lantern from the wall and hands it to one of his companions, and peers at the water. His other companion also snatches a lantern and holds it aloft. "Let's see how well a bleeding bound rogue can elude a Watchman underwater, shall we?" He, too, dives in.

[Scampre(#23381)]
But while there is a second splash as Jaz dives in, there is naught to be seen of Scampre. No thrashing of legs, no gasping for breath, only the silence of the Lake as it laps idly against the wooden pilings.

[Celys(#13888)]
But as other Watchmen arrive, they spread out over the area, looking for the tell-tale cloud of bloody water and the emergance of a waterlogged rogue. Jax continues his search thus bolstered by the arrival of his comrades.

[Scampre(#23381)]
The inky mirk of the Lake fails to reveal any sign of blood, but if Jax is alert, he might pick up the faint sound of labored breathing from behind one of the boles.

[Celys(#13888)]
The swimming Jax makes his way over in that direction, without offering any sort of signal to his comrades that it's anything more than random chance.

[Scampre(#23381)]
All the same, the splash of arms is all the rumour that is required for the breathign to stop. Though no eyes can see it, the head of Scampre sinks slowly, silently beneath the dark water.

[Celys(#13888)]
Jax, too, vanishes behind the bole, and makes several wild, flailing, groping motions over a respectable area in attempt to feel a sign of his quarry.

Celys attacks you with his Bare Hands!...
...and he hits! Ouch!

[Scampre(#23381)]
Sergeant Jax' gropes yield him the success he seeks, for as his arm wades slowly through the water it finds the body of Scampre. Rising up from the water with a gasp of breath the ruffian wriggles and kicks for all he is worth, attempting to drive away his pursuant.

It seems this pickpocket is not going down without a fight.

You attack Celys with your Bare Hands...
Celys dodges your attack.

[Celys(#13888)]
Jax doesn't seem inclined to let go, however. He attempts to grab the miscreant by the arms, turning him 'round and dragging him close--no doubt with the aim of hauling him back to be received by his waiting comrades.

Celys attacks you with his Bare Hands!...
...and he hits! Ouch!

[Scampre(#23381)]
With a yelp the ruffian is handled by the Watchman, though never does he quit thrashing and squirming in a bid to escape Jax' grasp. Scampre kicks for all he is worth to escape the Sergeant and dive downward, though by the sound of his laboured breaths is seems his body is beginning to tire.

You try to flee from Celys, but he blocks your attempt!

[Celys(#13888)]
The sergeant manages to resist this effort, and calls up, "I need a hand down here." Two other men jump into the water to grab the miscreant, and the three manage to haul him somewhere where other waiting arms can grab him and drag him ashore, where the rogue is once again surrounded by a ring of swords, and a trio of wet and unhappy Watchmen crawl ashore. "Bind his legs," hisses Jax to his men, who quickly comply.

[Scampre(#23381)]
His chest heaving, it seems Scampre's energy is spent, and e no longer resists as the Watchmen do as they will, merely glaring balefully at Jax. "Such a brave lad," he scorns. "Coming after little old me with yer gang..."

[Celys(#13888)]
"See this badge?" Jax holds out his badge. "Know what that means, gutter rat?" He leans in close to the man. "Means I'm a Watchman. And you know what they call heroes in the Watch?" He's nose to nose to Scampre now. "Dead Watchmen."
 
He straightens up here. "Take him away. Inform the Captain that he can add 'resisting arrest' and 'attempted assault of a Watchman' to the charges. My lads and I are searching the area."

Date added: 2011-03-24 14:19:04    Hits: 74
Powered by Sigsiu.NET RSS Feeds